Friday, April 26, 2013

Review: Reboot by Amy Tintera

Title: Reboot
Author: Amy Tintera
Series: Book One in the Reboot Series
Published By: HarperTeen (May 7, 2013)
Source: ARC Copy Provided by the Publisher (in exchange for an honest review)
Genre: YA Dystopian
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Book Description: 
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation). Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.



My Thoughts and Review:

I started this one at exactly the right time. Right when I needed (desperately needed), something completely different and completely fantastic from the stuff I have been reading.
Don't get me wrong, I love contemporary but sometimes I just need something with a little bit of oomph. That little something something and that is exactly what I got in Reboot. 

I have been looking for something action packed, somewhat dystopian, a little mystery thrown in and heck a little romance too, since the beginning of the year and sadly just haven't found it until now. I thought I did on numerous occasions but the world building, character growth and that connection I need to the characters just wasn't there and I found myself walking away in disappointment each time.

Not this time.

This. Book. Rocked.

Seriously.

I won't even begin to do it justice with this review, I know I won't. But I loved it. I had so much fun while reading this. I loved Wren. I loved Ever. Callum (oh, especially Callum!), leb, Addie, Tony, I loved all the characters. 

This had just the right amount of action, adventure, intrigue, romance, a dystopian feel and an air of mystery that kept me on the edge of my seat and turning the pages. Heck, I couldn't read the pages fast enough. 

I wish I could go into more detail about the whole storyline but I am afraid if I do that I will give too much away and really I just can't do that to you because this is one that you just need to experience for yourself. 

Wren is a kick butt girl and she grows and changes with Callum's appearance in the story and with some help from friends and I loved that about her. And even though she changes somewhat she still remains that fierce warrior and I love that even more about her. She is one girl you do not want to tick off. 

The only thing I can say this story lacked was a little bit more in the world building department. We did get a lot of background but I still never felt like I got the complete picture about who the NARC were and how they were created. I understood their role in the world but never fully understood what happened to the rest of the world. Where did our government go? Why were there wars and the cities destroyed? Was it all because of the virus?

I have a feeling though that more will be said in the next book as the adventure continues and I am really looking forward to that adventure. This series will be on my auto buy list for sure. 

This was a great break out novel for Tintera and I really look forward to reading whatever she has in store for this series and anything else she happens to write in the future. 

16 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I loved this book SO much too! The pacing was just right, and all the characters were great. And despite a few issues with the almost-instalove, I can't WAIT to read the second book.
    So like I said in my review, long live Amy Tintera, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one! Callum was so amazing! I loved how in this one Callum was the weaker and more human one and he brought out Wren's emotional side. I thought this was going to be more like a cyborg thing but it was more like a zombie disease which was unique and interesting. Reboots are treated so horribly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! This was awesome! I am so glad you both loved it as well. I can't wait for the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound exciting and different. Thanks for the great review. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a rave to me. Another on the TBR pile.

    Mercy, I say, Mercy. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one you don't want to miss for sure!!

    Thanks everyone for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY YAY YAY YAY!!! I just finished this one a couple weeks ago and ADORED IT! Seriously one of my favorites of the year so far, I'm thrilled you loved it too! I just fell in love with Wren and Callum, and while the ending was a touch abrupt for me (mostly because I just wanted to stay with them forever and ever), I can't wait to see where things go moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, another fan!! I will be eagerly waiting for the second book! I didn't want this to end either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo I read a review that made me think this was meh..but you have me totally excited to try this. I love the sound of Wren, the pacing and Callum :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim you have to give this one a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just been debating what I'll read next, I have far too many choices. This is on that pile though and it's short (which I need right now) and sounds like it's hard to put down. Sounds like this just might be my next read! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would say I hope you love it Candace but I have a feeling you already will. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well hell! Everyone seems to love this one. I passed on it because I had Mila 2.0 on my mind when I read the blurb. Damn. Hmm... wonder if it would be worth it to go download it now and slip it in. I had to DNF Criminal, which leave a little room... decision...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I'm SO happy to hear that you loved this one too. Yes to the Callum love, all the way! This book blew me away, and was so unique. I don't know how any review of mine could ever do it justice; you've done an amazing job of describing why I loved it. Wonderful review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christy, do it..NOW! :P

    Awww, thanks Lauren!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yeah! So happy to hear this rocked I will be starting at the end of next week and I am looking forward to something that is exciting and will perk me up. However, I can't complain my last couple of reads have been a great improvement!

    ReplyDelete