Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Review: Cold Shadows by J.L. Bryan

Title: Cold Shadows
Author: J.L. Bryan
Series: Book Two in the Ellie Jordan Ghost Trapper Series
Published: November 28, 2014
Source: Purchased
Genre: Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars

Book Description:
Footsteps in the attic. Toys that play by themselves. A dark presence in an upstairs room. 

Paranormal investigator Ellie Jordan faces a difficult new case. Her new clients are a family haunted by multiple ghosts and a poltergeist that wrecks their home at night. Their seven-year-old son’s invisible friends may not be imaginary at all, but the restless spirits of dead children. 

To clear her clients’ house of the dangerous entities, Ellie must unravel the mysterious deaths of another family who lived in the old mansion more than a hundred and sixty years ago—and she must do it before the ghosts can carry out their malevolent designs on her clients and their children.









After a surprise love of the first book in the series, I didn't hesitate to pick up the second. And oh boy was this quite the read. Creepier, darker, and full of delicious paranormal woo hoo. 

Ellie once again manages to get herself in way over her head when it comes to the dark and creepy spirits that haunt the homes of those she visits and while this trait isn't a great one, it somehow works for the storyline. 

With darkness abound, danger around every creak and glowing orb, this was a fun sequel that lived up to the first and then some.

Packed full of ghosts, mystery, and a slight hint of a romance to be, this truly was a hard one to put down and makes me excited to see what else Ellie and her friends can get up to in the next installment.

I remain pleasantly surprised and creeped out with this series and I can see it quickly becoming a favorite for when I just need to escape, get a little freaked out and want a few hours all to myself immersed in another world where anything is possible and everything goes. 




40 comments:

  1. The cover is so campy, lol. I love the creepy factor you talk about though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it isn't the greatest but the writing was and that's what counts right? :P

      Delete
  2. This sounds very creepy! I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I own quite a few books by him.
    I'm glad to hear that this series is going strong for you! :)
    Great review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first series by him I have liked but I haven't tried them all either (at least I don't think so) but I do really like this one. The creep factor is a huge plus!

      Delete
  3. "Paranormal woo hoo" <-- love this! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo love that there's a slight hint of romance in this one Ali! You know I live for romance in my books, so I'm glad to hear one might further develop in future books. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it as well so I'm excited that there might be! Thanks so much Jenny!!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, you're on a roll here, Ali! :D Another delightfully creepy tale... I haven't read the first book, I confess, but it sounds really good! Brilliant review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ramona! For some reason I have been in the mood for scarier reads lately. :P

      Delete
  6. Thanks Ali, Love ghosts, mystery, and a slight hint of a romance and your review ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you are loving this series. It is creepy and addictive, right? I am anxiously awaiting book five.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paranormal woo hoo. Love that. Glad you enjoyed this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great that it was once again a good one. I need more ghosts stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun read! I really need to check this author out. haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just adore this series. Although the last one wasn't my favorite, I still cannot wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I need to start this series. It sounds fabulous. I'm loving the creepy paranormal sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good series and so far is pretty clean too as far as content goes.

      Delete
  13. I'm all about creepy books as the summer turns to fall. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that is when I love them most as well. :D

      Delete
  14. I so need to start this series. What is funny is that you said you were creeped out by the series and all I can think of is... I need to read it! I'm a wimp... what is wrong with me? LOL Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I do that too and trust me, I'm a wimp as well! :P

      Delete
  15. Ghosts and minimal
    Romance, I like it already!

    Oh and I got This Monstrous Thing. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see what you think about it! I hope you love it!

      Delete
  16. A slight hint of romance. Hmm, I NEED ROMANCE! Lol. I mean obviously every book (I'm lying) doesn't need to have romance. I'm glad you liked this one. Yet another book I've never heard of. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jazmen and I know what you mean about the romance. I feel that way most of the time as well. ;)

      Delete
  17. I always appreciate it when a book manages to put in some horror and creepiness in their stories! Makes me feel more alive somewhat! Great review, dear. I need to get to this series myself, hopefull I have time soon! So many books to read but so little time >_>

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It really is hard to choose which to read sometimes when you don't have a ton of time for them all!

      Delete
  18. I'm always up for a creepy read Ali so I'm stoked that this one delivered to you! The cover even looks eerie with the coloring and the smoke on it. But the only thing is, I can't even watch a scary movie without at least someone being in the same house at me that way of I hear something creak or move I won't get all freaked out. Great review chica! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way so I completely understand! I try to read this is the bright light of day LOL!

      Delete
  19. Paranormal woo hoo...hehe I always say paranormal woo woo and you made me giggle. This series sounds good and I like the darker elements!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't heard of this series but it sounds really creepy for sure. I'm glad you are enjoying them so much, Are they YA or Adult? The title puts me in mind of YA even though the blurb and review didn't. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not YA, adult but pretty clean reads overall so far.

      Delete