Monday, April 18, 2016

Review; The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Title: The Twelve
Author: Justin Cronin
Series: Book Two in the Passage Trilogy
Published By: Random House (October 16, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Fantasy/Dystopian
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
At the end of The Passage, the great viral plague had left a small group of survivors clinging to life amidst a world transformed into a nightmare. In the second volume of this epic trilogy, this same group of survivors, led by the mysterious, charismatic Amy, go on the attack, leading an insurrection against the virals: the first offensives of the Second Viral War.


To do this, they must infiltrate a dozen hives, each presided over by one of the original Twelve. Their secret weapon: Alicia, transformed at the end of book one into a half human, half viral—but whose side, in the end, is she really on? 








This trilogy is so hard to describe because there are so many things I love about it. While the original concept for it isn't necessarily unique, the author's imaginative way in which he created the virals, The Twelve and the characters in it, are. 

Cronin is a master, hands down, in being able to tell a story riddled with detail, intricate foreshadowing, and the ability to weave a tale back and forth through time that all comes together full circle in a way that only a true writer can. 

Imaginative, engaging, and completely all its own, this is not your usual tale of vampires, monsters, and an apocalyptic world where humans have to fight to survive. 

There is so much more to this story. So much that intertwines and connects that at times, it truly is mind blowing. 

I can't even really say too much other than Cronin is truly a gifted writer and storyteller and if you are looking for something that is like nothing else, then this is the story for you. Something that you have to dissect, and rethink, and re imagine. Something that will keep you on your toes, keep your mind working and thinking and always wondering, then this is the series for you and Cronin is the author for you. 



40 comments:

  1. I seriously need to read this series. You and Joy are just raving over them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are fabulous, long, but fabulous!

      Delete
  2. I could SO see this book becoming into a movie! Even the cover is super awesome! I'm super happy this book as everything you wanted it to be! With all of the suspense, mystery, AND the fact that the author was able to wave all of that into one book is truly amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would absolutely love for them to make this into a movie!

      Delete
  3. I can't recall ever hearing about this one but a five star read is hard to come by. I have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This trilogy is just fabulous. I just finished book three and it was awesome!

      Delete
  4. I've heard really good things about this series! It sounds amazing, Ali and I can tell you were really invested in the book!
    Wonderful review, Ali! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nick, this one reminds me a bit of The Other series is all the detail and just plain awesomeness.

      Delete
  5. I agree with everything you said Ali, I also review The Passage for LibraryJournal and The Twelve and The City of Mirrors (out this June) for RT Magazine. He's definitely a master. Did you know that the reason he wrote this trilogy is because his daughter wanted him to write a book where a little girl saves the world?
    GREAT Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I didn't know that, okay, that is amazing! And now I love it even more.

      Delete
  6. Awesome review, Ali! I love your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5 stars?! Wow! I hadn't even considered this series before but it sounds like I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the books have been five stars for me Candace so definitely check them out. ;)

      Delete
  8. I just got the third book and I am now ready to binge read the whole series. I have heard so much about it, and I am actually glad I put it off because I don't have to wait. I am excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I did too Heidi! I just finished the third and it was fabulous!!

      Delete
  9. You have convinced me this is a must read. How am I just hearing about this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! It looks like I really need to look for this author's complete work! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, I can't recommend this trilogy enough.

      Delete
  11. I have never heard of this trilogy! Sounds amazing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Grace and I'm glad I could introduce it to you. :D

      Delete
  12. A thinking book, unfortunately I'm not in the mood for this, or much of anything lately. I'll keep this author on the short list of people to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, a book slump! I hope it passes quickly for you.

      Delete
  13. Ideas are not unique, but the way an author WRITES makes it so and it sounds like this is an author that does it very well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hells yeah! I'm glad I reread this with you. I think I appreciated it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you did too, I might have been lost without you!

      Delete
  15. YESSSSSSSSSS. I am reading City of Mirrors now and deliberately trying to make it last. It is hard because it whispers read me all dang day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hard one to put down, especially when you get around part four or five. It seems like it just flies after that.

      Delete
  16. This is one series that I will recommend to anyone. Hopefully I will start The City of Mirrors this weekend. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Between you and Joy I feel like I am really missing out by not starting this series. I think it's already on my Amazon wish list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! I'm so glad that you loved this one! I liked this one, but not as much as the first book. I don't remember why though. It's been so long that I need to reread both before I get read the third book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm glad I read them all so close together, there is no way I would have remembered everything otherwise.

      Delete
  19. This sounds fantastic! Although I have to admit 12 characters is an immense amount of characters to follow along 0_0 that's just me though. I'm glad this book lived up to your expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of characters but it all worked and it worked well. ;)

      Delete
  20. Oh it's nice to find an author who can write such richly layered stories. Lately I've had a slew of very basic writing. Enjoyble but so...easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know exactly what you mean. It's nice to have to think and really contemplate sometimes in books.

      Delete