Friday, November 4, 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Series: Book One of Unearthly Trilogy/Series
Published By: Harper Collins (Jan. 4, 2011)
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Solid Stars


Goodreads Description:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

My Review:
I am really starting to wonder why it takes me so long to read a series that I have heard so much about? Am I not picking them up because I am wondering if they will really live up to their hype? Is it because I don't want to be disappointed? Or maybe it is because I know if I do love it then I will have to wait a whole year (in most cases) for the next one to come out?
Either way, I always kick myself when I have finally read a book that everyone raves about and....you guessed it...it is fabulous and I am wondering once again why I waited so long to read it.
This book was awesome. Clara is awesome. I love heroines that are strong and that don't always take the easy way or even necessarily make the choices that they are suppose to make but rather the ones that they want to take, the ones that they feel are right. The ones that they can live with later on.
I think I loved every single character in this story, Christian, Wendy, Angela, Tucker, Jeffery, I love them all. I even liked Clara's mom who I admittedly wanted to shake a few times for keeping things that were important from Clara and Jeffery.
It was nice to read an angel book this time through the point of view of the angel instead of the MC finding out their love interest was one or the boy next door or their best friend.
It was refreshing.
I really enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading the next in the series. I mean, who wouldn't want more Tucker and Christian...ahhh Tucker and Christian. Two boys couldn't be more different and more same if they tried.
Cynthia Hand created a wonderful story. I love her writing style and how engrossed I became in the story and in Clara's life. I have only been through Wyoming in passing but now I really want to go there and spend some time.
Hand has a way with describing the world and people that make you long to be there.
I can't wait to read the next book in the series, especially considering how this one ended.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment