Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Blood Oath by T.L. Clarke

Title: Blood Oath
Author: T.L. Clarke
Series: Book Two in the Gabby Girls Adventure Series
Published By: One Wish Publishing (March 6, 2012)
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 Welcome to the dark and powerful world of the Eternals.

Gabrielle Martin discovers that she was born into a secret society called the Eternals—Warriors sworn through blood to annihilate dark and evil creatures that walk the shadows of the earth. Everything she has known to be true is a lie…just smoke and mirrors to disguise a deadly world filled with half-human, half-vampire Underworld Warriors with one goal—to kill all Eternal Warriors.

The battle against pure evil begins. Friendships are betrayed. Rivals bond…and powers collide.

My Review:
  When I first started this book I was actually pretty excited about it. I knew it was going to be something that I could really get into. I think the first few chapters made me have high hopes for it, the characters seemed like they would be a lot of fun to get to know and for whatever reason, I love books set in schools, you know, the whole Harry Potter feel?

In fact as I got past the first few chapters I noticed that it almost had the same feel to it as the Vampire Academy series by Rachel Mead (not a copy or anything, just a slight feel to it that was a little similar).

I started this book without having read the first in the series, The Secret of Scarlet Stone, which, I will be honest, sometimes makes me nervous, but I was assured that it stood on its own and I wouldn't need to read the first one to know what was happening in this one and thankfully that was true. I never felt lost or confused or like I had missed something important.

Right away the characters drew me into the story. The plot line was really interesting and moved pretty quickly.

There were times where it was a bit confusing and the story did jump from first person to third person randomly so it was a little distracting but overall if you looked past that and a few editing errors the story was a fun one and kept me interested.

It did end on a slight cliffhanger, nothing drastic but I do look forward to reading the next book to see how the story progresses. I think this could turn out to be a really good clean YA urban fantasy series with a little bit of everything in it to please everyone.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm a book with a Richell Mead feel, sounds good. I hate though that it jumps narration, that can be distracting. It is nice though that you could jump in and read it without having read the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a little but nothing too bad!

    ReplyDelete