Wednesday, January 25, 2017

WoW Pick of the Week!



Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. It is a chance to share those new releases were are super anxious to get our hands on and read.

Having loved her duology this one seems like a no brainer and seriously, look at that cover! I want it just for that alone. ;) 



Book Description:

The daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has long known her place—she may be an accomplished alchemist, whose cunning rivals that of her brother Kenshin, but because she is not a boy, her future has always been out of her hands. At just seventeen years old, Mariko is promised to Minamoto Raiden, the son of the emperor's favorite consort—a political marriage that will elevate her family's standing. But en route to the imperial city of Inako, Mariko narrowly escapes a bloody ambush by a dangerous gang of bandits known as the Black Clan, who she learns has been hired to kill her before she reaches the palace.

Dressed as a peasant boy, Mariko sets out to infiltrate the ranks of the Black Clan, determined to track down the person responsible for the target on her back. But she's quickly captured and taken to the Black Clan’s secret hideout, where she meets their leader, the rebel ronin Takeda Ranmaru, and his second-in-command, his best friend Okami. Still believing her to be a boy, Ranmaru and Okami eventually warm to Mariko, impressed by her intellect and ingenuity. As Mariko gets closer to the Black Clan, she uncovers a dark history of secrets, of betrayal and murder, which will force her to question everything she's ever known.









52 comments:

  1. Oh yeah that cover is amazing!! I am excited for this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This sounds like a really exciting read, plus those cover is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently completed her two-part debut series, so I'm definitely game for more from this author!

    Happy reading, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow sounds fab! Thanks for sharing Kindlemom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with that cover, it's awesome. The story sounds great and has me intrigued to find out who who put the hit out on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really hope it will be fantastic. Thanks for stopping by Mary!

      Delete
  6. I'm bummed that her first series didn't work for me, but I hope this one will. It really is a gorgeous cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope this one will work for us both. ;)

      Delete
  7. Ooh yes, this cover is so gorgeous! I can't wait for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES!!! I can't wait for this one!! Hopefully we will both love it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have her first book that I still need to read. Hope you love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that cover is awesome. The detail is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Tyler! I really want to see it in person. ;)

      Delete
  11. Hi Ali! I haven’t been around for a while, I’m happy to finally have some time for blogging and commenting. I’m so glad you are still around; in truth you made me worried with you “I’m thinking about quitting blogging” post last year.

    Girl-dressed-as-a-boy is a wonderful concept. I haven’t read anything by this author, I need to look further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much, that means a lot and it's so good to see you as well! :D

      Delete
  12. It´s very probably that I am going tu buy the paperback. First wow that cover is amazing. Second the story sounds like YA Mulan xD But I really love it Reneé Ahdie since the warth and the dawn :D!
    Amazing picks sweetheart
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unique cover! And this definitely sounds like a really intriguing story. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cover is gorgeous, and this was unfortunately not on my radar!! Awesome Pick!
    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the Japanese elements and the fact she's an alchemist- and it has an amazing cover too! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the premises as well, here is to hoping it really is a fabulous book. ;)

      Delete
  16. YES, I am so excited for this!! I loved this author's debut series and I am sure this is going to be just as good, if not better! Wonderful pick this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives you* Yay! I really hope we both love this!

      Delete
  17. I've never heard of her before, but I have to check this out!!

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! Definitely excited for this! Love the cover, too. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the cover Ali, and haven't tried this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would like her debut books Kim, they are re-tellings of sorts and very well done.

      Delete
  20. this oughtta be good. The japs and the samurai culture is very patriarchal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it will be but I have a feeling it will. ;)

      Delete
  21. I was not a big fan of her Wrath novel and didn't even get near the half-way mark. But it was well written and now that I know it's just a duology, I might give that another go. Flame in the Mist though is definitely a book that has my interest. So I'm willing to try her books again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope if you try it again you like it better the second time.

      Delete
  22. I can't decide if I like that cover or not. The book sounds good though!

    ReplyDelete