Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Sleepwalkers by J. Gabriel Gates

Title: The Sleepwalkers
Author: J. Gabriel Gates
Published By: HCI (October 3, 2011)
Genre: Horror
Source: ARC Copy (e-galley)
My Rating: 3.5-4 Stars
 
Goodreads Description:
A chilling and masterfully crafted teen horror novel guaranteed to keep the pages turning, the mind reeling, and the lamp on any reader's bedside table on long after midnight.

Privileged and popular Caleb Mason is celebrating his high school graduation when he receives a mysterious, disturbing letter from his long-lost childhood playmate, Christine. Caleb and his jokester friend Bean decide to travel to his tiny hometown of Hudsonville, Florida, to find her. Upon arrival, they discover the town has taken a horrifying turn for the worse. Caleb's childhood home is abandoned and his father has disappeared. Children are going missing. The old insane asylum has reopened, and Christine is locked inside. Her mother, a witch, is consumed with madness, and Christine's long-dead twin sister whispers clues to Caleb through the static of an a.m. radio. The terrifying prophesies of the spirits are coming to pass. Sixteen clocks are ticking; sixty-six murdered souls will bring about the end of the world. As Caleb peels back layer after layer of mystery, he uncovers a truth more horrible than anything he had imagined, a truth that could only be uttered by the lips of the dead.


My Review:
I am going to be honest, I don't read a lot of horror books. I went through a Stephen King phase in high school and then for what ever reason kind of gave up the genre but, with the upcoming Halloween season I decided I would give this book a go. Why? The synopsis sounded so good, I just knew I needed to try it. 
And this book was good. Creepy good in fact. I admit, I got goosebumps in parts and found myself looking over my shoulder and listening for noises that weren't there and, well, suffice to say I think I remember now why I gave up the genre. I. Am. A. Chicken.
This book was pretty suspenseful and intense at moments. It definitely had me turning the pages wondering what in the world was going to happen next. Wondering if the whole town was crazy or if it was just a select few. Wondering about the mystery of it all and who was whom and what was what.
Overall I was pretty satisfied with the ending, although it kind of was a creepy ending too, I mean, what happens next? Is it over or has it just begun?
I don't want to give anything away but I will say this, if you want something fun and different and something that will keep you on your toes then try this book, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment