Sunday, January 20, 2013

Review: Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel

Title: Infinite Days
Author: Rebecca Maizel
Series: Book One in the Vampire Queen Series
Published By: St. Martin's (Aug. 3. 2010)
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 3.5 to 4 Stars!

Book Description:
 “Throughout all my histories, I found no one I loved more than you... no one.”

Those were some of Rhode’s last words to me. The last time he would pronounce his love. The last time I would see his face.

It was the first time in 592 years I could take a breath. Lay in the sun. Taste.

Rhode sacrificed himself so I, Lenah Beaudonte, could be human again. So I could stop the blood lust.

I never expected to fall in love with someone else that wasn’t Rhode.

But Justin was... daring. Exciting. More beautiful than I could dream.

I never expected to be sixteen again... then again, I never expected my past to come back and haunt me...


My Review:    
I love that this one felt a little dark to me. That vampires were monsters, beings that inflicted pain not only because they could or because they wanted to, but almost because they had to.

The undeniable urge to make others suffer and miserable because they were. A way to release their pain..if only for a little while. It was a nice change.

Lenah, hmm, what can I say about her? I liked that even though she was a monster and did some unthinkable things, she could still love..as much as a monster like her could at least. She missed being human and unlike a lot of creatures of her kind, she wanted to be human again. She was willing to sacrifice everything to get it too, or so she thought.

I liked watching her character grow and change and adapt as she became human again with all that entailed.

It wasn't an easy process for her and she felt a lot of guilt in the beginning because she lost someone very dear to her.

I couldn't help but love Rhode. The past memories of him combined with the newer memories and his sacrifice really made me like him and want more of him.

I really enjoyed how this alternated between the past and the present. It not only gave you a really good feel for what vampires in this world were like but it also gave you a really great feel for Lenah, Rhode and her coven. And of course the historical freak in me really enjoyed the history as well when it flashed to the past.

I am not going to completely gloss over that this book had some issues, it did. A love...err, triangle? Square? Whatever you want to call it. Stereotyping of the typical “mean girl” and the fact that the best friend falls in love with the girl. The “hot jock” with a girlfriend falls in love with the girl, (okay, everyone falls in love with the girl) but, if you can look past that and a few other little nuisances, you really do have a fun story that, when finished, made me want to pick up the next book and read more.


8 comments:

  1. I used this for a cover characteristic post and have been intrigued with it since. Didn't even know it was about vampires lol but it sounds like an interesting take on them needing to be evil. I do hate love squares though but the other stuff all sounds good1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize it was about vampires either Jennifer when I first picked it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this WAY back when it first came out and really liked it. I just have forgotten so much about it. Hopefully it comes back when I read the second book. Glad you liked this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I was supposed to read this for a GR group last year and it didn't happen. I thought I heard it had a bad cliffie. Oh no you mentioned some of the things I despise the most in YA... love triangles and mean girls. I hate both. I am not sure this is one for me. OH well doesn't matter anyway my blog is ridiculously booked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book is on my wish list just because of the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... this actually does sound pretty good. I don't mind love triangles most of the time. And I like the sound of the vampires. Great review, A!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my fave book. I already read the sequel (Stolen Night) and many of the stereotypes that you found in book 1 are reversed ;)


    So glad you liked this =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this book before, but it sounds intriguing. Great review.

    ReplyDelete