Saturday, August 16, 2014

Mini Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Dutton Books (January 1, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Contemporary
My Rating: 4 Stars!

Book Description:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.









I knew reading this book was going to be ugly, ugly as in REALLY ugly.

No, no, not the story or the writing, those were beautiful. Beyond beautiful really, they were gorgeous.

No, the ugliness came all from me. Ugly as in, now my eyes are red and swollen and my face is a mess and I may have gone through a whole box of tissues and yet still managed to chock out a laugh every now and then ugly.

Gosh I loved this story, because after all, as the story goes, pain, is meant to be felt. 

What does one say about a masterpiece?

I loved Augustus, I loved Hazel and I would like to believe that I am a better person because of them. Because I was able to read their story, to share in their love for one another.

I still can't really express all I felt while reading this story or all the I feel now that it is over other than to tell you, it was a beautiful one to behold. An emotional one and one I do not regret reading, not for a minute, ugly tears or not. Swollen eyes or not.

Thank you John Green for writing something so poignant and wonderful. 





*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by an outside source. I was not compensated for this review.*

37 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I am quite sure this one made everyone ugly cry :P The writing was really unique and I loved Hazel's narration.

    Great review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! I can totally understand what you're going through right now :P This book is pretty much a punch to the gut in a nutshell. This is why I don't want to watch the movie. I don't want to go through it all over again!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you but I know I will be watching it anyways, I just didn't want to do it in a theater full of people! :P

      Delete
  3. Aww *hugs* I know how you felt and it took me some time to get back into my senses after this one. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Great review, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard so many great things about this one and I confess with the movie, I'm quite curious to see how it is. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Kindlemom, I think it was worth the tears to you. But I just don't know if my have to have a happy ending heart can take this.
    Convince me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not a happy ending kind of story but a sweet one either way.

      Delete
  6. Aww I'm glad you liked it so much! I actually didn't cry but it was very beautiful! Have you read ''If I Stay'' ? That one made me cry. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that one made me ugly cry as well, more so than this one did! I still need to read the sequel but I am preparing myself LOL!

      Delete
  7. Yay, glad you cried! ;D I definitely teared up a bit reading this, but the movie? My face was a river of tears. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, I think I may be the only who didn't cry...don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and thought the writing was beautiful, but I don't know...it didn't get to me on an emotional level. Anyway, glad you like this book. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't until almost the very end. I was prepared to cry before then but..I really didn't for some reason.

      Delete
  9. Totally agree with you! Wonderful review!

    I actually cried much more during the movie. I think I held it in for the book, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure I will as well, there is just something about movies that always makes me cry more.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful book, great film adaptation, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes yes yes
    This was a pretty emotional book and I remember reading it before all the hype came out so i was able to enjoy it without any preconcieved notions. I ended up balling during the book & the movie. I'm not sure which one I ended up crying with more but either way i shed a lot of tears!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cried ugly so much for the book and the movie. They were both so emotional and I'm so glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone loves this book. I just can't bring myself to read it. I read to escape reality. I don't like reading about it. Lovely review though! I'm sure it is a powerful, heart wrenching book, but I just can't read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Natalie, I know a lot of people that feel the same way and I completely understand. ;)

      Delete
  14. Oh Ali..I am a crier too, and can just imagine what you looked like. I have never tried Green but hope to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I winy be reading this one coz I don't want to cry the whole time I'm reading it so I asked my sister yo watch the movie with me instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard the movie is worth though so be prepared!

      Delete
  16. Glad you enjoyed this, I did too even though it wasn't exactly what I was hoping it would be. I didn't cry very much, which is surprising as I am a HUGE crier, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that is what surprised me the most as well, not crying as much as I figured I would but then when I did, it wasn't pretty. ;)

      Delete
  17. I think I read this at the wrong time. Right after my dog died and it just didn't pack the punch that I thought it would. It was good but it didn't live up to the hype for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Heidi but it makes sense considering what was going on at the time. *hugs*

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you liked this one . . . I've too big of a chicken to read it though . . . OR see the movie. I do have the book, so maybe one day, but MAN, I really hate being reduced to incoherent sobbing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful review. I haven't had the courage to read this and I didn't go to the movie. I just don't know if my heart can take, despite knowing how awesome it is. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage.

    ReplyDelete