Saturday, August 9, 2014

Review: Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

Title: Spider's Bite
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Book One in the Elemental Assassin Series
Published By: Pocket Books (January 26, 2010)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 3.5 Stars!

Book Description:
My name is Gin, and I kill people.
They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South — when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way — good or bad. I may look hot, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this coldhearted killer needs when I'm battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction...especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.








Being a huge fan of Esteps' YA series Mythos Academy I just knew I needed to try her adult series as well and urban fantasy being a favorite of mine I just knew I would be in for a treat. 

Gin was completely what I was expecting her to be, fun, kick butt, damaged, snarky, loyal, a good person, a troubled past, fouls mouthed, really she had it all. Everything I love in a good heroine.

In fact, this whole book was everything I love in a really good urban fantasy and then some. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so gory but really, with a name like Spider's Bite and it being all about a woman assassin, I really should have known better.

I loved Gin, Fletcher and Finn right from the very beginning and found myself instantly caring about them and being invested in their future. I couldn't help but feel their pain, their struggles and their need for revenge.

And seriously, this book had one of the best opening lines ever, talk about an attention grabber!

If you want an action packed kick butt, nonstop adventure with some paranormal elements thrown in, some steamy love interests, awesome friendships and bonds and danger lurking around ever bend, this is a UF series you do not want to miss out on.

Estep showed me what a great writer she is in her YA series but I had no idea just how much that talent extended until starting this one. I can not wait to dive right back into Gin's world and devour every last page.




*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

30 comments:

  1. My luck kept changing with this series: I loved it, then I hated it, then I thought it was just average, then I liked it again, and eventually I gave up. It gets very repetitive later on, and I disliked the romantic drama far too much. I just thought it was unnecessary. But those first few installments were fabulous so enjoy them!
    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maja. I really hope that doesn't happen with me as well but since we always feel so similar about books, I can see it happening.

      Delete
  2. I read four books of this series on a binge a looooooong time ago, as in 2-3 years. I wasn't particularly fond of everything but as you said, it was attention grabbing. Kept me hooked and the action scenes! You just wait for the next books. Teehee!!! This series was the reason I picked up her YA books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to at least read the next book and see if I like it just a bit more.

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with you. I LOVE this series as I'm not a big fan of YA this one of hers is my cat's meow. You know I think I love Gin more and more the deeper into the series that I got, the first book really only touched on her the person the more books you read the better you'll understand her plus there are some really kick a characters coming down the line too!
    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that! I did wish there would have been just a little more background on her. Happy to hear there will be. ;)

      Delete
  4. I read this one a while ago but I haven't read the others even if I have them and I'm so behind now! I'm curious to read them but I don't remember about book 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am too and I know so many people really like this series.

      Delete
  5. Great review. I have got to start this series sometime. I really love the Mythos Academy series also. I need to check to see if it is in audio books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adored her Mythos series which really is why I picked this up.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoy this series, but I still have to read the last few books. I hope I have time to pick it up soon again, it;s such a great urban fantasy series. And I just like Gin, she's such a great main character!
    I actually read this series before I started the Mythos Academy series. I only haven't read the last book in that series yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last book was really good Lola, you need to read it!

      Delete
  7. Yay you read it! I think I like the 2nd and 3rd more, especially the romance stuff. (Well the romance in the third, not so much for the 2nd). I'm not yet listening to the fourth, I have a different audiobook on now, but it should be pretty soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you say that Candace cause the romance really was rather lacking in this one.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read anything by Esteps but I have heard so much about her books. I'm so happy that you're enjoying this one and I really hope you'll love the rest of the series. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to read any book of hers but I really am planning on collecting this series! I'm reading KMM's Fever series and I think my love for UF will only intensify now so I'm looking for other good books from the genre. Great to hear that you loved this! We have a long way to catch up with this series. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we do! I am hoping they only get better too.

      Delete
  10. That girl looks so kickass! And looks like she truly is! I actually wanted to buy the whole collection last month because I heard only positive things but I didn't understand why very few actually gave it 5 stars. Like...is it missing something so decided to read the first book to see if it's worth having the collection in paperback. We'll see but I do like your review a lot. Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. If you read the reviews they are awesome but they don't always match up to the ratings.

      Delete
  11. Hah, for some reason, upon glancing at the cover, I thought it would be something akin to Spiderman :P That the girl was bitten by a spider and got something awesome out of it! Glad you liked it! So many good UF in our midst!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that would be an interesting read though wouldn't it? :P

      Delete
  12. I love love love it when a book opens with a great sentence or paragraph. One that sucks you in the moment you open it :). Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do too which is why I needed to read this one. ;)

      Delete
  13. Yay! I'm so glad you liked Gin and her awesome assassinness. I hope you liked the rest of the books as well--I can always count on this series for a quick, action-packed and entertaining read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am tackling this series and Kate Daniels on audio this fall without a doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You will love Kate Daniels. I am behind and really want to get caught up for sure.

      Delete
  15. I have seen this around before, it looks good, but I haven't gotten around to really checking it out yet, so thank you for your review!

    I also love it when books start out with an awesome hook. It makes me all the more excited to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is true. Those first few chapters are so crucial to set the tone and really hook a reader.

      Delete