Monday, January 12, 2015

Review: Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews

Title: Magic Slays
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Book Five in the Kate Daniel Series
Published By: Ace (May 1, 2011)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
In this fifth entry in Ilona Andrews's New York Times bestselling Kate Daniels series, Kate finds herself in the midst of a deadly war between magic and technology.

Plagued by a war between magic and technology, Atlanta has never been so deadly. Good thing Kate Daniels is on the job.

Kate Daniels may have quit the Order of Merciful Aid, but she's still knee-deep in paranormal problems. Or she would be if she could get someone to hire her. Starting her own business has been more challenging than she thought it would be—now that the Order is disparaging her good name, and many potential clients are afraid of getting on the bad side of the Beast Lord, who just happens to be Kate's mate.

So when Atlanta's premier Master of the Dead calls to ask for help with a vampire on the loose, Kate leaps at the chance of some paying work. Turns out this is not an isolated incident, and Kate needs to get to the bottom of it—fast, or the city and everyone dear to her might pay the ultimate price.









It funny how you know a series is a favorite and you know there is a reason for it being so but with a long absence you tend to forget all the details of they why, that is until you pick one up again and realize, holy cow! This is awesome and why have I waited so long between books?

The Kate Daniels series is that series for me right now. I waited way too long between books and because of it, forgot the awesomeness that is Curran and Kate and numerous other secondary characters that are every bit as much fun to read about as they are.

I forgot about the kick butt fighting scenes, non stop action, slow burning romance and the humor, oh my goodness the humor. I forgot the sarcasm and witty one liners. How could I forget what made this series be in my top 10 to begin with? Silly girl, it won't happen again.

Oh how I have missed this series. 

The writing duo that is Ilona Andrews knows their stuff and they not only know it but they always manage to exceed all my expectations with how well they know and execute it.

I love that I can pick up the next book, jump right in and not be lost but not be bogged down by a complete recap of all the events in the last book. The attention to detail without being overly so it amazing and the world they have created, even more so.

With magic having a mind of it's own and where the creatures that roam freely are as predictable and they are unpredictable. 

This was a fabulous addition to the series and I can't wait for more and I can promise I won't be going as long as I have in between reads.



47 comments:

  1. It's about time that you continued with this series! I was going to start getting on your case soon if I hadn't seen this review this morning. Hopefully you won't wait nearly as long to tackle book 6.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. You might of had to if I didn't soon. ;)

      Delete
  2. My first book by Illona Andrews was Burn for Me, but I totally want try this series out too. I've heard so much about Kate and Curran. I love that this is such a cherished series by many.
    Lovely review! I hope this series continues to be fantastic for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try this series, you will love it!

      Delete
  3. "I waited way too long between books and because of it, forgot the awesomeness that is Curran and Kate and numerous other secondary characters that are every bit as much fun to read about as they are."

    THIS!!!! I stopped after book four and need to get back to Kate and Curran! I miss them for sure. Burn for Me reminded me how much I love the writing style of these two, so I need to make getting caught up on this series a priority. So glad you're a fan of Kate and Curran too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to forget how much we love them until we start them back up again isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I really need to start over with this series again. I haven't picked up the second book. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love the first one, it wasn't until book three that I was truly in love with Kate and Curran. ;)

      Delete
  5. I love her, thanks for the great review Kindlemom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my top UF series. I love everything about Kate and this world. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fabulous and I love the humor in them as well, especially between Kate and Curran.

      Delete
  7. Yay!! Glad you enjoyed this Ali! I'm behind, I need to read Magic Rises and Magic Breaks, but with this series its complete joy to get back to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful series. I am keeping my fingers crossed I get to the last two soon!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of these, but I'm glad you loved this one. I hope you don't wait too long before you read more!

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of the series I am reading without a doubt this year. I feel like I am being left out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are Heidi, you are. :P No seriously, I am glad you are going to make time for it. I think you will really like it as well.

      Delete
  10. It's been a long while for me and this series too. I just picked up the audio of book one to do a re-"read" of it. I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you are getting back into it as well. :)

      Delete
  11. I've been wanting to read this series for years. I actually did start the first book but it was bad timing. I have read a spin off series book though so I know the world better now and I'm anxious to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spin off series is great too I bet! The first book wasn't a favorite so stick with it it gets better.

      Delete
  12. Gads I love this series and am all caught up. I listened to 2-7 in December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Impress Kim! It is fun to have a binge read with great series. ;)

      Delete
  13. Waaahh!! Blogger where did you take my comment?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grrr... okay what I tried to say was: this series should be a GOAL for me and not just a TBR book. Everyone has met Kate and Curran except for me!

      Delete
    2. Then you definitely need to meet them Braine! There is enough steam in these I know you would like them. ;)

      Delete
  14. This sounds interesting and I don't read a lot of urban fantasy. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great one to try if you are ever in the mood for it. :)

      Delete
  15. I have several series like that--I get into them and intend to read all the books at once, but then the next one doesn't come out soon enough. Sadly, too often I forget to go back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't started it...but if you like it I am sure I will as well. Great review Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca and I hope you like it as well. :)

      Delete
  17. I have this series in my TBR list, but I'm reading anytime soon :) and I glad to see that you liked this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You read it without me! -snort- I'm slow. I'm trying so damn hard to spread these books out, but it's freaking tough. They're so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this last year, I am just finally getting my review up for it. ;)

      Delete
  19. *Gasps* how could you forget the amazingness that is Andrews??? Kate and Curran?? :)

    This is my favorite series EVER. The humor alone is ridiculously awesome. Then the action and rich fantasy. OMG, I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you're having a good time with this series, I kist love it and I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haven't Read the Series But your Review Definitely has me interested for more!! Check out my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha It's great when the next book in the series reminds you just how good they are! This series sounds so good and I love books with humor. Why haven't I read this yet? The world sounds awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, you should read it! I bet you end up really liking it too!

      Delete
  23. Great review. I have seen so many amazing reviews for this series and the authors work. It has me so curious, even though this isn't what I usually read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you decide to give it a chance sometime. :)

      Delete