Monday, November 23, 2015

Review Blood & Salt by Kim Liggett

Title: Blood & Salt
Author: Kim Liggett
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books For Young Readers (September 22, 2015)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Horror/Thriller
My Rating: 3.5 Stars


Book Description:
Romeo and Juliet meets Children of the Corn in this one-of-a-kind romantic horror.

“When you fall in love, you will carve out your heart and throw it into the deepest ocean. You will be all in—blood and salt.”

These are the last words Ash Larkin hears before her mother returns to the spiritual commune she escaped long ago. But when Ash follows her to Quivira, Kansas, something sinister and ancient waits among the rustling cornstalks of this village lost to time.

Ash is plagued by memories of her ancestor, Katia, which harken back to the town’s history of unrequited love and murder, alchemy and immortality. Charming traditions soon give way to a string of gruesome deaths, and Ash feels drawn to Dane, a forbidden boy with secrets of his own.

As the community prepares for a ceremony five hundred years in the making, Ash must fight not only to save her mother, but herself—and discover the truth about Quivira before it’s too late. Before she’s all in—blood and salt.







This was one read I wanted to read before Halloween was over because of all the wonderful reviews and all the hype surrounding it. I was ready for a good creepy read that would leave me turning the pages and not wanting to turn out the light at night. 

And while I did get a good read, one with some creepy moments, this wasn't quite the scary read I was hoping for but instead a rather intriguing mystery and romance that left me swooning and even a bit sad by the end.

Definitely unique and original and fun, this did have me flipping through pages and wanting it to last longer. Even if it wasn't quite the read I was hoping for, I wasn't disappointed in it in the least. 

Well written, well plotted, and a fun different kind of story, I really did enjoy this.



46 comments:

  1. I've read nothing but rave reviews so it's interesting to see a somewhat different opinion. I love a good scary read, just like you, and I was super excited to read this. It's good to know that it isn't nearly as scary as I'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I think because of it I was expecting more and was thus let down a bit. It was still a good read though.

      Delete
  2. I would have totally thought it would be scarier based off cover and blurb. Glad you still enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think that is why I had a harder time with it but it was still an entertaining read and it did have me turning pages.

      Delete
  3. I've wanted to read this one since Halloween as well. If I feel like a creepy read one day, I'll just grab this from the library. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, quite the creep factor Ali. Yikes!
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear this wasn't the creepy story you had been hoping for. I'm glad that you still enjoyed it though. The book description hooked me with "Romeo and Juliet meets Children of the Corn in this one-of-a-kind romantic horror."

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always a bit of a let down when a book isn't what you expected. But the fact that you still enjoyed it really speaks to the strong writing. I always appreciate your objective reviews, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I was prepared for this one to be terrifying, so I'm kind of glad it was more creepy than anything else. And I was completely on board with a swoon-worthy romance until you said it made you a bit sad at the end. I don't like the sound of that Ali!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, a bit of a giveaway I suppose but I had to warn everyone!

      Delete
  8. This was definitely the creepy story that I was expecting either, Ali. It was more mystery for sure. I'm glad you liked the romance though. I'm curious to see how it pans out in the next book.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there going to be a next one? I had no idea. That makes me a bit more hopeful then!

      Delete
  9. That's disappointing to hear it wasn't as creepy and expected. I'm glad you still enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you still enjoyed this one despite hoping for a creepier read, Ali. It was kind of bittersweet at the end. I think the cover is way more sinister than the book, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely and Nick says there will be a second so you never know what we will get with that one. ;)

      Delete
  11. I am glad you liked this one, most of the reviews I have read haven't been so flattering. I like the sound of the book, but I think I am going to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad this one didn't disappoint, even if it wasn't what you were expecting.

    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry it fell short on the horror aspect but at least it was still entertaining enough that your time wasn't wasted on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a good read that even though it didn't give you what you expected you still get something you want to last. Totally makes me want to read this one. Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Romantic horror, huh? Interesting. But I'm glad it's not that scary but has a good mystery. That definitely makes it more appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romantic horror is a great way to describe other than it wasn't all that horrific. ;)

      Delete
  16. How could it not be as scary as that cover?! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you enjoyed this one, despite it not being quite what you had expected!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so conflicted on whether I should read this or not, because of the mixed reviews. But at least you liked it even though it wasn't what you expected! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say try it because you never know and knowing that it isn't as scary as some say might make you like it even more.

      Delete
  19. I knew there would be a romance but I thought it would be more scarier given the "Children of the Corn" reference in the book's marketing. Glad you enjoyed it despite the less fear factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not really scary, creepy yes but not scary. ;)

      Delete
  20. Ahhh creepy cover. Bummer it wasn't scarier for ya! It probably would have been too much for my wussy self. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL nah, I think you would have been able to handle this one. ;)

      Delete
  21. Oh I thought this was darker and do have it on my wishlist. I was surprised to hear about the romance and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but if like Nick said there will be a book two, the ending makes more sense so maybe the next book will be better and end on a better note.

      Delete
  22. I definitely don't see swoony with that cover but happy you still loved it despite the lack of scary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't want to read the words romance and sad in the same sentence before I read a book. I think I will hold off on this one, but thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete