Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Review: Omens by Kelley Armstrong

Title: Omens
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Series: Book One in the Cainsville Series
Published By: Dutton (August 20, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
Twenty-four-year-old Olivia Taylor Jones has the perfect life. The only daughter of a wealthy, prominent Chicago family, she has an Ivy League education, pursues volunteerism and philanthropy, and is engaged to a handsome young tech firm CEO with political ambitions.

But Olivia’s world is shattered when she learns that she’s adopted. Her real parents? Todd and Pamela Larsen, notorious serial killers serving a life sentence. When the news brings a maelstrom of unwanted publicity to her adopted family and fiancĂ©, Olivia decides to find out the truth about the Larsens.

Olivia ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, an old and cloistered community that takes a particular interest in both Olivia and her efforts to uncover her birth parents’ past.

Aided by her mother’s former lawyer, Gabriel Walsh, Olivia focuses on the Larsens’ last crime, the one her birth mother swears will prove their innocence. But as she and Gabriel start investigating the case, Olivia finds herself drawing on abilities that have remained hidden since her childhood, gifts that make her both a valuable addition to Cainsville and deeply vulnerable to unknown enemies. Because there are darker secrets behind her new home and powers lurking in the shadows that have their own plans for her. 









Omens was probably my most anticipated read this fall simply because being familiar with Armstrong's writing I just knew I would get something perfect for not only the season but for the paranormal lover inside of me. 

Well written, mysterious, and with characters you can't help but love, I completely devoured this read. It left me wondering, full of questions, and eager to begin the next installment. In short, I was completely hooked. 

Imaginative writing, a memorable setting, a mystery that will keep you on your toes, and a town filled with the unusual and unexplained that is bound to have you pondering the story long after you put it down, this truly was everything I have come to not only expect from Armstrong, but what I was hoping for as well. 

I can't wait to jump right into book two and hope some of the mystery is further explored and answered. 



54 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that you loved this one! I've been on the fence about reading it for a while now. Mostly because I hate love triangles. I might have to breakdown and read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love triangle isn't even prevalent in this nor the second which I have read but I heard it does get more so in the third but I still want to read it because this really is a great series.

      Delete
  2. This one hits close to home for me. I'm glad it worked well for you, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a fun read and I loved all the omens and superstitions especially since my grandmother was totally into all of these and I grew up hearing many of them.

      Delete
  3. I have a few of her books on my shelf, but I've not read them. I always want them when they come out, but then they get pushed aside. Maybe I should read them soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to start her other series now that I've read this one.

      Delete
  4. I am all for the kind of mystery that keeps me guessing! Need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do it was so much fun and addicting!

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to try this series and finally jump aboard a series by Kelley Armstrong - this sounds so good with many of the aspects I love to read. I think I need more mystery like this right now.
    Glad you loved it, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Ali! I love Kelley Armstrong. I've been wanting to read this one. Now I just want to read it even more lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could temp you to try it even more. ;) It really is worth it though and I think you will love it as much as I did.

      Delete
  7. I've been in a reading slump for a long time Ali, and I think I just need something different from my usual reads. This sounds like just the thing, I can't imagine finding out my parents were serial killers! *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy and I bet this could pull you out of your funk Jenny, it was that much fun and so interesting!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read anything by the author but I've heard great things. This sounds like a winner and I'm totally interested in this one. Love the sound of the characters and the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how different it was and all the omens were so fun because a lot of them I've heard before.

      Delete
  9. This one has been sitting on my shelf since the release date, I really need to get around to reading it.


    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine had been as well, I'm so glad I finally read it. ;)

      Delete
  10. gah i so need this in my life,i am glad you loved it, now ill need to get it myself heh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately, one of my students spoiled this series for me. Oh well. I do want to read her Other World series by her. Maybe I'll start with that one first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry that happened. I need to read her other series too, I've watched the TV show and have really liked it.

      Delete
  12. Here is another series that I keep hearing great things about and I haven't read it. So glad you loved it. I want to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim loves it too so you definitely need to read it. ;)

      Delete
  13. 5 stars huh? Okay, I'll have to keep this one in mind for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so excited you loved it Ali. I have the third lined up to read before the year ends and cannot wait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to wait until the 4th comes out but I really really want to start it!

      Delete
  15. I still haven't read Armstrong! I have to fix that. I love an author that you don't even need to read the description to buy the book. This sounds really good too! I love fantasy mysteries! Thanks for the warning that the mystery isn't all wrapped up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Molly. I hope you try this and like it.

      Delete
  16. OMG Ali I want!!!! :) Great review girlfriend!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I think you would like this one. ;)

      Delete
  17. Another five-star review! Considering that the prose is urban fantasy, I find it interesting that the author has peppered the story with a mysterious intrigue. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to do with the town and her parents, definitely interesting!

      Delete
  18. I haven't read anything by Kelley Armstrong but this sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first adult read from her but I loved it and her YAs that I have tried.

      Delete
  19. A new series? I thought this was part of that other series... hahaha... so many active book series by KA I can't keep up. It's great that this met your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope definitely a separate series. ;) No werewolves in this one, at least not yet. :P

      Delete
  20. Glad you enjoyed this one. I haven't had a chance to start this series yet. I want to catch up on her other ones first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are a lot in that series so I don't blame you!

      Delete
  21. I love the sound of this book. Definitely piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  22. BLAHHHHHHHHHHHH Quit making me want to read books. Well, books I don't have yet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yes I loved all the 3 books! A really great series there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds really promising! I've yet to try a Kelly Armstrong book however... but that shall change, don't fret!! :D

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try her, her writing is pretty amazing. ;)

      Delete
  25. I do love Armstrong. I have been dying to read this one but keep putting in on hold. Well, no more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This does sound good-glad you enjoyed read it. I haven't read anything by this author yet-but someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a great one to try and she does have a werewolf fantasy out there. ;)

      Delete
  27. I love Kelley Armstrong. I've really enjoyed this series. I need to get caught up on it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good series, glad you like it too!

      Delete