Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beautifully Broken by Sherry Soule

Title: Beautifully Broken
Author: Sherry Soule
Published By: Moonlight Publishing (June 30, 2011)
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 3.5 Stars


Goodreads Description:
Thirteenth daughter. Heritage witch. Demon slayer.

They say every town has its secrets, but that doesn’t even begin to describe Whispering Pines. The townsfolk are a superstitious lot and the mystical disappearance of a local teen has everyone murmuring about a centuries old witch’s curse.

Sixteen-year-old Shiloh Ravenwolf is a heritage witch from the Broussard family, a family both destined and cursed. When she takes a summer job at Ravenhurst Manor, she discovers a ghost with an agenda. That’s where she meets the new town hottie, Trent Donovan, and immediately becomes spellbound by his charms. Yet she is determined to discover the connection between them before it’s too late.

Finally, Shiloh's met someone who is supercute and totally into her, but Trent may be the next victim on the supernatural hit list. And Shiloh is the only person with the power to save him. Complicated much?

It sucks to have a destiny, especially since Shiloh would rather spend her summer being a normal girl who worries about clothes and boys, not the supernatural. But she’s never been
normal and the stranger things become the more her own magical senses awaken.

With cryptic messages from a pesky wraith, she will begin to understand the mysterious significance of the strange mark branded on her wrist, and decide how much she's willing to sacrifice to protect the other teenagers in town.

Unfortunately, for Shiloh, not all ghosts want help crossing over. Some want vengeance.


My Review:
This is one of those few books that I am just not sure how to rate. I liked it but the story did have some issues. Manly things that could have been taken care of with a good editor, some slight inconsistencies but nothing really horrible.
I did like the story line though, it was creepy and suspenseful but I didn't really feel myself loving it until probably the last 50 or so pages left when the action picked up and stuff really started to happen.
Trent and Shiloh's relationship bothered me a little bit. It was very hot and cold. It felt forced sometimes, like the author was trying to make it seem like there was all this passion when really there wasn't. Things would heat up and then go cold again. It didn't seem like either trusted the other or wanted to open up at all. They sometimes acted like they might love each other and then other times like they didn't want anything to do with the other. I just didn't feel that chemistry there with them and I was a little sad about that. I wanted them to grow close and love one another and to stop being idiots.
I know first books in a series can sometimes be tough with all the character and world building and I really do see potential for the series so I will definitely be checking out the next book. Over all I think I would give this one about a 3.5 Stars.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the honest review. I hope your followers appreciated the post and are interested in reading my debut novel, Beautifully Broken. :- )

    ~Sherry

    Sherry Soule Website

    Author of the Spellbound Series

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people will really enjoy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete