Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Title: Catching Jordan
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Sourcebooks Fire (Dec. 1, 2011)
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
My Rating: 5 Stars


Goodreads Description:
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate.

My Review:
 I knew I would like this book, I just wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. So much so in fact, that I couldn't even put it down. I read it in a matter of hours. I read it when I really should have been doing something else productive like, you know, laundry or dusting or probably numerous other things but hey, those could wait, Jordan and gang could not.

In all seriousness, I really loved Jordan. I loved how strong she was, not just physically but mentally and emotionally too. She was sort of fierce really but still super naive about a lot of girl things like makeup and dating and wearing dresses and boyfriend.
She was a tomboy through and through and that by no means made her less, in fact it made her even better.

She didn't shirk away from a challenge, instead she took it head on and threw a challenge of her own out there.

She didn't let others dictate her future instead she made her own dreams and she stuck with them.

I loved her teammates, every single one of them was just fabulous. I wanted to know them and be a part of their group. And Henry, I have to say, I feel in love with Henry after the first chapter. He was such a great character, I think it would have been hard for anyone not to love him, warts and all.

I thought about this book long after I was done with it and couldn't start another one right away because this one was just on my mind so much that I couldn't get into another book.

I am not much of a sports fan but I do like football and all the references in this book were great. It didn't hinder the book at all, in fact, it just added to the greatness of it.
I know that sounds weird but it is true.

This truly is a book that you just have to read to know what I am talking about. You don't need to be a football fan or even know the sport to get it. Football was more of a secondary subject in this book. The real story was Jordan, her dreams, her hopes and her journey along the way in discovering who she really was and what she really wanted along the way.

I will most definitely be reading anything Kenneally writes in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Even though I would not normally read a book like this, I think I might give it a try since so many people talk very highly of it! Awesome review!

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    You should try it, I think you would really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading some dazzling,reviews for this book but yours convinced me I need to read this very soon! Wonderful review Ali!

    ReplyDelete