Thursday, December 29, 2011

Review: Supernatural Devices by Kailin Gow

Title: Supernatural Devices
Author: Kailin Gow
Series: Book One in the Steampunk Scarlett Series
Published: Oct. 31, 2011 by TheEDGEbooks
Genre: YA Steampunk/paranormal
Source: ARC Paperback Copy from Publisher
Pages: 246
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 Scarlett was a sensible seventeen year old young lady or so everyone thought, but there was definitely more to her. The daughter of famous English Egyptologists and archeologists Theodore and Gemma Seely, she was prone to adventure and all the world had to offer.

It was the 1890s, and she had just received a letter from one of her parents' dearest friend, a certain detective who lived on Baker Street, who needed her help on a case most bizarre.

As she embarks through the supernatural side of London, ventures into the forbidden realms bordering Victorian society; often accompanied by a dashing but infuriating Lord Darthmoor; Scarlett's first case, which had seemed so innocent at first had taken a turn for the unexpected and dangerous.


My Review:

I always like to read Kailin Gow's series to see what new spin or twist she will put on a theme whether it be vampires or witches or fey.
So I was pretty excited to see that she was coming out with a steampunk series because even though I am new to the genre I really like what I have read so far.

And this just isn't steampunk (although, I will admit it is pretty light in that area as far as steampunk goes, so light in fact that I think people who don't like steampunk will still really enjoy this series and be interested in it) this is steampunk with a supernatural twist. Steampunk with vampires and fairies and all beings of the unknown. This is steampunk with, well, spunk.

As with all Gow novels we have a fantastic heroine who is no wussy female waiting for a man to save her or come to her rescue. Instead we get a woman who is fierce and smart and knows how to be tough when she needs to be, act like a lady when it is appropriate and be a warrior when needed. Someone who doesn't fit the ideals of a gentlewoman in London in the late 1800's where this novel is set.

I love the Sherlock and Watson spin on this series, how Scarlett knows them and works with them to help solve cases and as she is about to get her very first solo case to work on things don't always go as planned. In fact, it is downright chaos in the making.

Of course this being a Gow novel we have a love triangle, or maybe love rectangle is more appropriate, or love square? Either way we get some very swoon worthy and even supernatural men for Scarlett to choose from. Each great in their own way and even a little dangerous and mysterious as only Gow knows how to write them.

I really enjoyed this read, even more than I thought I would if I am being completely honest.

I will most definitely be buying the second book when it comes out in a few months and I can't wait to see what adventures are in store for Scarlett as the series continues. Who Scarlett will end up with, what her powers will show and what the future will hold for this feisty detective and her friends.

6 comments:

  1. I requested this one three times and never got a response. Now I am really irritated! This sounds like a good read maybe a good place to start w. Ms. Gow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a paperback copy if you want to borrow it Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, they did the same to me, I requested for it like 5 times at Netgalley never got reply. so you're not the only one they have did that to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I'm off to goodreads to add this on my tbr list.

    Thanks for the great review!
    Danielle
    http://knowntoread.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! This and Girl in the Steel Corset are way up on my wishlist!

    Ana @ BookSpark

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of Gow's work yet, but I want to. She has so many I don't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete