Saturday, June 22, 2013

Mini Review: A Dawn Most Wicked by Susan Dennard

Title: A Dawn Most Wicked

Author: Susan Dennard
Series: Book (Novella) 1.5 in the Something Strange and Deadly Series
Published By: HarperTeen (June 4, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
Daniel Sheridan is an engineer’s apprentice on a haunted Mississippi steamer known as the Sadie Queen. His best friend–the apprentice pilot, Cassidy Cochran–also happens to be the girl he’s pining for…and the captain’s daughter. But when it looks like the Sadie Queen might get taken off the river, Daniel and Cassidy have to do whatever they can to stop the ghosts that plague the ship.
Fortunately, there happens to be a Creole gentleman on board by the name of Joseph Boyer-–and he just might be able to help them…




My Thoughts and Review:
I was so very happy to see Daniel be the star of this novella in the Strange and Deadly world, especially considering how the first book ended. 

I really liked Daniel and it was nice to see the hospital scene through his eyes. To know what he was thinking and going through when he had to say goodbye to Eleanor. 

Not only do we get that glimpse into Daniel but we really get where his story begins. Well, at least where it began with him meeting and joining Joseph and Jie. We also get why he had to end things the way he did with Eleanor. The guilt and loss he carries with him over someone years earlier that he loved then as well. Someone he cared very much for and someone that will always be a part of his life Someone he will never forget.

I absolutely loved the way this one ended. It ended with hope. And with that hope, a new beginning and a new adventure and I, for one, know that I want to be there, along for the ride. 




*All opinions and thoughts are my own and were in no way influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review*

7 comments:

  1. Squee..how did I miss this novella, I loved book one, and am going to grab this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You will like it Kim, so much it told about Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, this is Daniel's novella? I had no idea! I was going to pass on it initially, but I definitely hope I can give it a try soon now. Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, crap! I totally missed this novella. Sheesh. Must go get it ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. never read this series yet but I am glad this novella tied up a few things for you, thats always good eheh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grab it Christy, you won't regret it!

    Lily, you should try this series, it is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is another series that is new to me. Thanks for introducing me to it.

    ReplyDelete