Monday, September 7, 2015

Review: The Girl From the Well by Rin Chupeco

Title: The Girl From the Well
Author: Rin Chupeco
Series: Book One in The Girl From the Well Series
Published By: Sourcebooks (August 5, 2014)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Horror
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night. 

A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a strange boy bearing stranger tattoos moves into the neighborhood so, she discovers, does something else. And soon both will be drawn into the world of eerie doll rituals and dark Shinto exorcisms that will take them from American suburbia to the remote valleys and shrines of Aomori, Japan.

Because the boy has a terrifying secret - one that would just kill to get out. 

The Girl from the Well is A YA Horror novel pitched as "Dexter" meets "The Grudge", based on a well-loved Japanese ghost story.










After having read a few milder ghost stories I was in the mood for something darker, scarier, and down right thrilling.

What I wasn't expecting was this horrific, crazy, down right creepy story that would leave me turning the lights on at night and anxiously looking around for the ghosts that might be lurking in said darkness.

This read was fabulous! The perfect creepy blend of Japanese lore with American culture. 

Ghosts, demons, doll possession, curses, mysterious tattoos, murderers, legends, and so much more. This read truly kept me on my toes, turning the pages, and horrifically fascinated. 

I will definitely be reading book two but maybe this time only during the daylight hours. 




44 comments:

  1. Oh good! Ever since I read The Dark House (so creepy), I've been in the mood for true horror stories. Not something light, but really creepy stuff. I'll make sure to get a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will really like this one then Maja, I think it was creepier than that one. ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm getting really excited to start this one and I already heard great things about the sequel! I'm glad it was a great read for you.

    Haraiah @ Random Things In Action

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I will definitely have to add this one to my Halloween reading list in October! I love watching J-horror :D

    Aentee at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is perfect for Halloween! I hope you love it!

      Delete
  4. I've heard that this one is all kinds of creepy! I'm glad it was a huge success for you, Ali! I'll need to read this one in broad daylight. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh - you know I enjoy creepy as well -lol, so I'm glad you enjoyed this. I've had my eye on the sequel and kept wondering if it's something I would enjoy. I'm adding this to my tbr list, sounds perfect for fall and all things scary, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will really like this Kim! I can't wait for you to read it. :D

      Delete
  6. Hehe, obviously not a book to be read before bedtime, lol :D Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not unless you aren't a chicken like I am. ;)

      Delete
  7. I have been back and forth on reading this one. I should have picked it up for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my this sounds super creepy - If I pick it up I will be sure to do so during the daytime with someone else home too!! I scare super easily! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely want someone home then and lots of lights on!

      Delete
  9. OMG! I'm reading book 2 and you are right. Lights ON! :D I'm glad you enjoyed this one. You are going to enjoy the second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Scary!! I just finished the second and I loved it too! My review will be up tomorrow for it. Even more scary than this one I think!

      Delete
  10. I recently added this to my wishlist because people keep saying how scary it and the 2nd book are. I love scary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this, the lore in it is fabulous and definitely creepy, especially for a YA book. :)

      Delete
  11. Oooooo! I am definitely picking this one up. I love scaring myself haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, this sounds quite thrilling - and chilling! Thanks for your review; might have to try this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab! I could be in the mood for this one closer to Halloween! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word! This sounds utterly frightful! I'm not sure I have the stomach to bear so much trepidation ha ha! I know of a few friends who do enjoy this genre, and I'll be sure to let them know about this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had me at thriller....hehehe! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh it's fun to have a creepy ghost story! I heard great things about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These books sound so creepy. I'll have to think on it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This premise makes me think of The Ring when it talks about the well. So creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read and reviewed this on PureTextuality back when it came out. I have a vague memory about someone asking if I would be interested in reading the sequel and I don't remember answering the email. I am so forgetful but reading this reminded me. I am glad you liked this so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you liked it! I think the sequel was even better. ;)

      Delete
  20. ooh, Japanese Lore. I bet that was scary a shit! Sounds like a good one. Loving the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the Japanese lore in this one and in The Suffering. So good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you already read them then? Weren't they fabulous? First time I have read anything like and I loved it!

      Delete
    2. Yes I did. I LOVED them. A lot of ya horror I don't find creepy at all, but I think these were.

      Delete
    3. I agree. It was nice to see something actually creepy for a change. Have you read Dead House? It is YA and creepy as well. Also Katie Alender writes really creepy YA as well. I have liked everything I have read by her so far.

      Delete