Monday, June 6, 2016

Review: The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

Title: The Outlaw Demon Wails
Author: Kim Harrison
Series: Book Six in the Hollows Series
Published By: Harper Voyager (February 26, 2008)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
To save the lives of her friends, Rachel did the unthinkable: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins are coming home to haunt her.

As Rachel searches for the truth behind a terrifying murder, an even greater menace threatens, for the demon Algaliarept will stop at nothing to claim her, and the discovery of a shocking family secret throws Rachel's entire life into question. If she is ever to live free, Rachel must first walk willingly into the demonic ever-after in search of long-lost ancient knowledge.


But when you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line...and there are some lines that should never be crossed.








With everything that happened in book five, all the drama, tragedy and heartache, it was hard not being a little nervous about what Harrison would throw our way this time. But with a brave smile on my face, I dived right in. There was no way that I couldn't. I had to know what happened next. 

I am so very glad that I waited to start this series until all the books were out because binge reading this series is so the way to go. They are so addicting and hard to put down and with so much on the line for Rachel, I couldn't see having to wait months for the next book, I think it would have killed me. 

Harrison has no qualms at all about putting her readers through the ringer. This woman does not pull her punches and with this novel focusing more on the gang and Rachel's personal life, things get real, and they get real, real fast. 

As much as this is Rachel's story, it is also Al's and Ceri's as well. We finally get background info on them both and even Trent as well and so much is starting to make sense and come together. It truly was mind blowing how many twists and unexpected turns showed up and threw me for a loop once more. This series is definitely keeping me on my toes and I'm having a hard time not wanting to read them all in one go. 

I can't wait to see what Harrison has up her sleeve next. 




47 comments:

  1. You're speeding through these books, Ali! They all seem to be a hit too. I love that there are so many unexpected twists and turns!
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that best about them as well I think, well that and the characters. ;)

      Delete
  2. Everyone seems to be enjoying this series except me! I'm glad you're still liking it despite the heart-wrenching moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maja and sorry it didn't work for you. ;)

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one too. Binge reading a series like this is probably so much fun! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun but kind of exhausting too since they can be so emotional. ;)

      Delete
  4. I've finally picked up the first few books in this series. Now, to find the time to actually read them. lol


    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Just remember most people didn't love the series until book three or four so hang in there if you don't love book one. ;)

      Delete
  5. I also have Patricia Briggs' books on my binge-reading pile. I know the series is not over yet, but at least I have quite a few under my belt to get through. :) I'm glad you're enjoying this series, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that is another one I need to catch up on but thankfully I've read three or four and I think there are only nine right? Something like that. ;)

      Delete
  6. Get away from my backside demon! This body is a temple for the Lord. Anyway this series sounds like a dark roller coaster of a read. Who would not love that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Believe it or not, this book isn't creepy though even with all the demons. ;)

      Delete
  7. It sounds like this book gave you ALL THE FEELS! :) YAYYYSSSS! And I SO agree! I don't know what to do with myself when I know I have to wait for another book to come out! Like... how the heck do they expect me to wait for an entire year until the next book comes out? ARE. THEY. CRAZY?? Binge reading is the way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so curious about Al and Trent! I'm so hapy you're having fun binge reading these :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love binge reading series like this! I'm gonna finish catching up with another series first, but this one is now on my radar. I hope my library has them all. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope they do as well because I think you'll like them. ;)

      Delete
  10. Glad to see your on book 6 in a urban fantasy series, I have yet to find one I was super happy with! Great Review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too bad but I can understand that, they do have to be done really well for me to love them too.

      Delete
  11. LOL, yes Harrison will rip your heart out and step on it! So glad you are continuing, What a fun way to spend the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm having a blast reading them. I think I will be super sad when I finally get to the last book though.

      Delete
  12. Yay glad this series is still working out for you, it must be great for you to continue reading this many books. Excited to start it! Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you like it too and definitely hang in there if you don't like book one. ;) I promise they get better.

      Delete
  13. Darn it! I so need to continue with the series. Looks like you found it's stride. Can't wait to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did take a while but so worth it to get there. ;)

      Delete
  14. You are obviously having a blast with this series as you're reading them back to back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I read like four of them back to back and now I'm taking a slight breather LOL!

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you liked it and good to know that this is a binge worthy series. I have the first book, but I haven't read it yet. Looks like a great series though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good series and definitely one that is fun to binge read. ;)

      Delete
  16. I actually spread these books out a lot and even once out just let them pile up a bit. Because this is one series I just don't want to end. Ever. I love these characters too much to ever say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Candace, as I'm getting closer to that ending I can already see it being hard to say goodbye. :(

      Delete
  17. I have read the first one, and have the second one to listen to. I liked the first one but just haven't continued yet. I want to someday-I love that it takes place in Northern Ky, an area I am very familiar with since I am originally from Ky. Glad you are loving them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is cool that you know the area so to speak. Books are always more fun that way. ;)

      Delete
  18. This series sounds so interesting. I'm adding to my to-read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am definitely trying this series, as soon as I can. I am digging urban fantasy these days, and this sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun especially once you get past all the world building and character building. Then you can really dig in and just enjoy it. ;)

      Delete
  20. Okay okay. I will do these books. I really will. I've been that way on thank goodness they're all out! before. The wait can be brutal otherwise, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can and I really hope you try them even though I know this isn't your go to genre. ;)

      Delete
  21. Al is one of my favorite characters. Him and Jenks, who is my all-time favorite side kick. I do agree you were smart to wait and binge on this series.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm weirdly drawn to Al. ;) It's been fun binge reading them. Hopefully I can get them all finished by summers end.

      Delete