Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review: The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

Title: The Witch Hunter
Author: Virginia Boecker
Series: Book One in the Witch Hunter duology
Published By: Little Brown Books For Young Readers (June 2, 2015)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
The magic and suspense of Graceling meet the political intrigue and unrest of Game of Thrones in this riveting fantasy debut.

Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.

Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.


Virginia Boecker weaves a riveting tale of magic, betrayal, and sacrifice in this unforgettable fantasy debut.









This book has been on my must read list since it first started showing up in reviews when the advanced readers copies were out and everyone was raving about it.  I just knew I needed to make time for it. With the second book being released any day I decided now was the time to finally see what all the fuss was about.

Anyone who knows me, knows that it is almost virtually impossible for me to resist a good witchy read and that, more than anything else, is what drew me to pick this up. 

I'm so glad that I did because I was immediately drawn right into the story. If there is a second thing that lures me in besides a good tale full of magic and witchcraft, it is a strong heroine who knows how to kick a little butt and stand up and take charge and that is exactly who Elizabeth Grey, our heroine of the story is. 

I won't go into to much detail about what happens but I will say that I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to get caught up in the story line and want to learn more about this world that Elizabeth lived in. And the secondary characters were every bit as fun and interesting as the rest. 

No this wasn't some mind blowing read or even anything that maybe hasn't been done before but it still captured my attention and left me turning the pages and wanting more and most of all, I had a great time while doing it.

I really look forward to seeing the conclusion to this story and it will be high on my must read and finish list this summer.




46 comments:

  1. Seems intriguing and magical, this first book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all of those things. ;) Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I’m glad you liked this one! I’ve seen pretty good reviews around so I’m excited to start it. Good to know that it’s easy to read and fall into the story. Great review!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was and I hope you like it as well. :D

      Delete
  3. I purchased this for a friend's daughter and she loved it.


    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! That is good to hear. My daughter read and loved it as well. ;)

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed this one, Ali. Which is surprising considering I'm not really a fan of the witchery and wizardry. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that and yay! I'm glad you liked it too. There really was just something about it that was so alluring.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, at first glance I thought this was Hunger Games. I haven't read a witch book in a minute, I'm going to have to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I can see why you thought that at first. :P It was really good and I'm such a sucker for these kind of reads. I blame it on watching re-runs of Bewitched growing up. :P

      Delete
  6. Yayyyy so happy you enjoyed! The King Slayer releases this month so it won't be a long wait now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm actually glad that this is a duology, it makes it less intimidating to pick up. I also have this one on my tbr pile because of it's connection to Graceling, which is one of my favorite YA fantasy books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to read Graceling as well, so many books I still need to get to! And yeah, it being a duology was a huge bonus for me.

      Delete
  8. I am glad to hear you liked this one, it has been on my radar but I was hesitant. Adding it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always looking for books featuring witches, because I love them. Awesome Review, adding to my TBR!!

    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives you* Another witch lover! Woo hoo. I don't really know why I am so drawn to them but I always have been.

      Delete
  10. Great review! Somehow I'd never heard of this one but Graceling meets GoT?! I am intrigued!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if that is accurate since I haven't read the Graceling but it was really good.

      Delete
  11. This book keeps coming up for me. I know the author is signing near me next weekend so I was wondering if I should try to go. I do like anything with witches. And I'm curious about the Graceling comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were closer I would definitely go! I think you would like it, it was pretty good. :)

      Delete
  12. Glad you enjoyed this one!! I kind of love witches in general but for some reason never read about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you love them though right? :P I love reading and watching them, they have always been my favorite sup. ;)

      Delete
  13. Hmm. I'm curious about this one. There was a time when I REALLY wanted to read it, but the negative reviews put me off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you enjoyed this one! It's sitting on my TBR pile right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review thanks Kindlemom, even though I'm not a big YA fan I think I'd like this one

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad to hear you liked this one! I tried to get into it but I just couldn't :( Virginia is so sweet too, so I wanted to like it even more! Great review, I might have to pick it up again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing that the authors are wonderful too. ;) Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. I am on the fence with this one because I don't like witch books. Man, I'll have to think about it some more. I guess another couple of months can't hurt. Lol. Glad you liked this one though, it's great when you anticipate a read for so long and then like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not be for you then if you don't like books about witches. ;)

      Delete
  18. I really liked this one as well. I hope you love the sequel as much as I do. My review will be up next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH so glad it was good, can't wait to read your review for it!

      Delete
  19. Sounds like a great read. I haven't come across many witch books in a while. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for sharing.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and checking it out. :D

      Delete
  20. This sounds so good! A strong heroine is always awesome and I'm glad the story keeps you pulled in. I've had a copy for some time, but was unsure about it after seeing some negative reviews. It sounds like it's definitely worth picking up though! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been wondering about this one. I didn't grab it when I had the chance because the blurb just didn't grab my attention. happy it was good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I missed it when it first was an ARC as well.

      Delete
  22. Interesting review! I have seen this one-maybe on Net Galley? I am not a big fan of fantasy like this but I am glad you loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was at one point and the sequel as well. ;)

      Delete
  23. Oh it's so fun getting caught up in a read like that and yay for the secondary characters. Good ones always make me happy :)

    ReplyDelete