Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Title: A Discovery of Witches
Author: Deborah Harkness
Published by: Viking Adult (Feb. 8, 2011)
Genre: Paranormal
My Rating: 5 Stars 

Goodreads Description:

Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell.

Debut novelist Deborah Harkness has crafted a mesmerizing and addictive read, equal parts history and magic, romance and suspense. Diana is a bold heroine who meets her equal in vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont, and gradually warms up to him as their alliance deepens into an intimacy that violates age-old taboos. This smart, sophisticated story harks back to the novels of Anne Rice, but it is as contemporary and sensual as the Twilight series-with an extra serving of historical realism.



My Review:

I absolutely loved this book!  I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful this book is. It captured my attention from the first page. I loved everything about it. The characters are all loveable and memorable.
 I had a really hard time putting this book down, my only complaint is that I didn't have enough time to finish it all in one go and that, I didn't want it to end! In fact, I found myself reading more slowly to prolong the rest of the book which is odd for me. I am so glad that this is going to be a series. I can't wait to see what happens to Diana and Matthew, their adventures, their love, their future and the past.
I give this book a solid 5 Star rating. If you haven't read this yet and have thought about it, don't wait. Harkness wraps you up in a world all her own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment