Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Luxe (Luxe #1) by Anna Godbersen

Title: The Luxe (Luxe #1)
Author: Anna Godbersen
Published By: Harper Collins (Nov. 20, 2007)
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Goodreads Description:
In the self-contained world of young Gilded Age Manhattan socialites, Elizabeth and Diana Holland reign supreme. Or so it seems. Scratch the surface, though, and you can detect festering jealousies that threaten to topple them. Elizabeth suffers a more literal fall when her carriage overturns and she is carried away by the swift East River current. That's only the beginning of the action and suspense in The Luxe, the launch volume in a teen series by Anna Godbersen.

My Review:
It has been awhile since I have read a Historical Fiction book and when I saw this one I knew I needed to give it a chance.
Can I just say first off that I love the cover of this book? The dress is just gorgeous!
The book started off with the setting of a funeral, which was just brilliant. From there we get into the story of Elizabeth, her family, her friends, her enemies, her life and her sacrifices.
It was great to read something set in New York around 1899 and read about all life of some of the  elite socialites in that time and place. I have always been fascinated with this era so it was so much fun to read about the social classes and how things were for woman as well as for some of the men and even the servants/hired help.
However, I seem to be on a role lately because once again I just didn't find myself connecting at all to any of the characters. That isn't to say that the characters weren't great because they were, I just didn't find myself caring too much about them and what happened to them. 
Although I will say this, Godbersen can definitely write an evil character. Penelope was just...well evil. ;)
Overall I think this book was a good read, just maybe not the series for me. Or maybe I just didn't read it at a great time.
I do think anyone that is curious about it should give it a chance, just because I didn't love it doesn't mean that you won't.

1 comment:

  1. I've just picked up her Bright Young Things, haven't read anything by her before. All her book covers are very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete