Thursday, September 1, 2011

Truthseeker by C.E. Murphy

Title: Truthseeker (Worldwalker Duology #1)
Author: C.E. Murphy
Published By: Del Ray (Aug. 31, 2010)
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 3 Stars

Goodreads Description:
ACROSS TWO EXTRAORDINARY WORLDS, TRUTH IS THE DEADLIEST MAGIC

Gifted with an uncanny intuition, Lara Jansen nonetheless thinks there is nothing particularly special about her. All that changes when a handsome but mysterious man enters her quiet Boston tailor shop and reveals himself to be a prince of Faerie. What’s more, Dafydd ap Caerwyn claims that Lara is a truthseeker, a person with the rare talent of being able to tell truth from falsehood. Dafydd begs Lara to help solve his brother’s murder, of which Dafydd himself is the only suspect.

Acting against her practical nature, Lara agrees to step through a window into another world. Caught between bitterly opposed Seelie forces and Dafydd’s secrets, which are as perilous as he is irresistible, Lara finds that her abilities are increasing in unexpected and uncontrollable ways. With the fate of two worlds at stake and a malevolent entity wielding the darkest of magic, Lara and Dafydd will risk everything on a love that may be their salvation—or the most treacherous illusion of all.


My Review:
This was my first read by this author and I was kind of excited to read it because the story line sounded so different and unique and I really liked the concept of someone being able to tell when someone is lying or not, I mean, how cool would that be to have in real life? It would come in pretty handy that is for sure.
Murphy definitely created an unusual world of fairies and demons, worldwalkers, oracles, and truthseekers as well as a world of deception and half truths. Jealousy, illusions and mystery. 
While I did enjoy this book I found myself starting to skim the story half way through. 
The story didn't slow down necessarily it just started to get a little... too much maybe.
I'm not sure what it was exactly. I do want to read the next book in the series though because I am really curious as to where the story will go from here and I am hoping it will pick back up and get better as the series progresses.


2 comments:

  1. Skimming a story--that's not good! It's too bad you didn't enjoy this book more :(

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the follow!! :)

    It really wasn't all that bad of a story, for some reason the second half I just had a harder time enjoying. I am going to read the second book so hopefully I will like it better.

    I will definitely check out your blog too!

    ReplyDelete