Saturday, April 26, 2014

Mini Review: Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Destroy Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Novella (#1.5) in the Shatter Me Series
Published By: Harper Teen (October 2, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Dystopian/Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!

Book Description:
In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.










Dang it. I really really didn't want to like Warner. I didn't but yet, gah, darn Mafi, she made me feel for him. She made me like him even. Pity him even,  and I really am heartbroken over it because I was so looking forward to expending so much energy to hating him. Now, whatever will I do? Where will all that disgust and hate go?

Oh, I know, to his blasted despicable father. The supreme. Yep, that is exactly where my hate and disgust can now reside. 

Just when I think I have a handle on my feelings for this trilogy and its characters the author has to go and throw a curve ball in and make me feel even more and start to question everything....I love it and it makes me eager to continue on with the series. To experience whatever else the author plans on throwing my way.









*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

30 comments:

  1. It's great to see that even the novellas are great! I really need to start the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont't think this novella made me like him, but it did make me understand him and at times feel a bit sorry for him. I do, however, like him a a villain. As a love interest? Not so much.

    Great review! I love it when characters surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renu! Yeah, not sure about the love interest so much yet but I definitely understand him better.

      Delete
  3. I totally know how you feel Ali! :) I was team Adam but this book made me change my mind! :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still team Adam but I can see the stinker sneaking up on me and me liking him more and more as the series goes.

      Delete
  4. I've read Shatter Me and really liked it, this interlude books sounds really good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, I think they are a must read too. ;)

      Delete
  5. Well, if you end up liking Warren in this novella, you'll love him even more on the next books.

    #Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Although I think I will still love Adam.

      Delete
  6. This was a pivotal read for me, and totally changed my opinion of Warner. Welcome to Team #Warner. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got to find time for this series. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're still enjoying this series! This is one that I still need to read - if you can believe it. It's a series I'm planning on reading later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can..so many great series out there..not enough hours in the day. :P

      Delete
  9. I am so looking forward to reading this series :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha don't worry, a lot of people felt the same way as you about this novella! In fact this novella brought me over to Team Warner. And he just gets better in the series! This is one of my favourite YA series of all time, and I adore Warner. You'll see how amazing he is soon ;)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that! I am looking forward to book two.

      Delete
  11. I loved the first book in the series, but I'm afraid to read the rest because of the famous love triangle :(.What to do, what to do?:/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, love triangles can be so hard.

      Delete
  12. See? See?! I couldn't help but be sympathetic toward him after this ;)

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, darn it! I really didn't want to like him. I wanted him to straight up be the villain.

      Delete
  13. I sitll have only read the first book, so all of this team warner still has me shaking my head. I love Adam. I have to see how this plays out and if it can sway me too.

    Awesome review! :)

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I had no intention whatsoever even liking Warner at all until this book. Now I am so curious about him in book two.

      Delete
  14. So i havent read this series but do you think it would be safe to skip the enovellas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with this series all the books are important. I definitely wouldn't skip out on the novellas. ;)

      Delete
  15. So, I'm planning to get back to this series next month. I gave up reading first book, but I think it's more because I wasn't in the mood for something like this back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think you need to be in the right mind frame for sure for most YA books. ;)

      Delete
  16. ah eheh yup I too have had this dilemma before, all part of awesome writing!

    ReplyDelete