Monday, April 14, 2014

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Book One in the Shatter Me Trilogy
Published By: Harper Teen (November 15, 2011)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Dystopian/Fantasy
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Book Description:
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.







After much persuasion and maybe even a threat or two by friends and fellow bloggers, I finally decided it was time for me to pick this series up and see what all the fuss was about.

Can I just say that I am an idiot for waiting so long to do so? Other than the advantage that I don't have the agonizing wait for the next book to be out since they are now all out, (the only positive to having waited so long to start this series) I can't believe what I have been missing this whole time! This really is one series that lives up to all the hype and then some.

Oh my gosh, I love Adam. Where has he been all my life?

Waiting or no, I really am kicking myself for stalling so very long before starting this series. I don't even know where to begin to describe the barren almost desolate feel to the world that Mafi has created. It screams dystopian in every way possible but there is so much more to this story than a harsh dying world. This is a love story ever bit as much as it is a dytopian or a fantasy. It truly is everything good. 

This has all the elements I love in a story, it is captivating,  it stood out not only with it's beautiful writing and at times lyrical prose  but in the voice and feel that Mafi choose to give Juliette. She really is quite the unique character in every way imaginable. Her voice is innocent and child like one minute and insightful and deep the next. She has so much goodness inside of her with her ability to see the good in people and to care about a world that has been nothing but harsh and cruel to her. 

Juliette is one character that you won't soon be forgetting. 

And Adam is definitely one you won't forget. In fact I dare you to not fall madly in love with him after only the first book, heck the first few chapters he is in. He is sweet and caring and just fabulous. 

Oh my gosh, I can't believe how much I loved this. I will definitely be making time for all the other books. This is one series I don't want to wait to read. I want to read them all, right. Now. 






*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

40 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore this book. For unfathomable reasons, I have yet to finish the series, but I have all the books (and novellas), so it's only a matter of time ;) I'm glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored this one mostly because of the writing and Adam. ;) Book 2 was a DNF for me, sadly, but I hope you like it more than I do. <3

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you see me? No? It's probably a good thing, since I am dancing in my pajamas! I loved this series and author.Her writing is beautiful and I am so excited you loved it!! It is important to read the novellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You are the biggest reason I picked this up. I knew you would be thrilled. And don't worry, I am all over the novellas. ;)

      Delete
  4. I really liked this book too, but for some reason I've never picked up the next one in the series. I should get to that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY ALI!!!! So glad you finally got a chance to pick this book up! I fell madly in love with Adam in this book as well, which is in part why I haven't read the rest of the series. I don't like switching teams after I've picked, and with everyone swooning over Warner in book 2, I feared he might make me change my mind:) Can't wait to see what you think of the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading the novella I am afraid that is what will happen to me as well. Darn the Warner!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read this series yet. I'm so scare I'm not going to love it as much as everyone else does. *sad face* But I might buy the audiobook. I'm pretty lucky when it comes to audiobooks.

    Bethzaida @ Bookittyblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be afraid to try it, I really was as well and I am so glad I finally did. I hope you end up liking it!!

      Delete
  7. I am glad you liked this, I did not like it all. I think maybe if I had read it a couple of years ago, but now I have no desire to continue the series as it has been spoiled for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been avoiding all reviews on this series so it doesn't happen to me as well Heidi. I saw all the reviews for the Divergent series and now I don't even want to continue with it because of them. :(

      Delete
  8. Lol! I'm like you. I haven't read this series yet. I heard the third book was a mixed ending - not everyone loved it. I'll be reading the whole series this year at some point. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tressa! I have been avoiding even looking at the last book other than to see the star ratings for that very reason. ;)

      Delete
  9. That's great you really liked this one. I believe I have a copy, so I really do need to check it out. It sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Freaking-A. I've had this book for so dang long but haven't read it! I think I'll make this the next trilogy I binge on. I did the with the Divergent trilogy last week ... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim loves this series so you know it has to be good. ;)

      Delete
  11. I CANNOT wait for you to read the rest. I NEED to know what you think! I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Squee! Ali! I felt the same way as you did-about Shatter Me! I loved it, and I was amazed at the beautiful prose and the depth of my feelings for these characters. It took me awhile to pick this one up, but I'm so glad it did. Wonderful review Ali. I'm smiling here remember Adam...and Juliette...*sigh* and Warner too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had this on my TBR pile for a while. I am so glad you liked it! Now, I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Read it soon Becca I really want to know what you think about it.

      Delete
  14. *evil laughter* I see you've read the novella too, so I guess I don't have to mention anything about Warner ;) But I confess I did like Adam at first too! I'm glad you liked it-can't wait to see what you think of the other books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard so many people say they are team Warner and it does have me nervous (and excited) to see more of him. I can't imagine (right now) not loving Adam though.

      Delete
  15. I'm so curious about this one, I heard many great things about the series but I still haven't tried it either. My friend was really mixed about it so she'll send it to me, I can't wait to have it. Glad you had a good time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read these either. I have seen it before-I think I was just worried that a big part of the book would be her in a cell and I just hate that in a book. Maybe I should rethink it. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her in the cell was very little of the book. Just enough to get an idea of her life there.

      Delete
  17. YAY! I'm so happy to hear you loved this, I really enjoyed this when it came out. I loved Juliette's voice and yes I totally fell head over heels for Adam. But OMG I can't wait to hear what you think of the next two! I wonder if you'll change teams like I did. :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds awesome. I have had this one on my TBR pile for a while, but now that I know people like it I am even more excited to read it :)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. been wary of it because of the writing. Have book 1, just not much time to read it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is fabulous! I think you will like this one Lily.

      Delete
  20. So glad you finally picked it up! Loved this series! 5 stars for all books. Love Adam and Warner. Warner is truly a unique and interesting characters. He just gets better and better with each book. Love the unique writing style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am looking forward to more Warner and Adam. :)

      Delete