Thursday, April 24, 2014

Review: Fourth Grave Beneath by Feet by Darynda Jones

Title: Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Fourth Book in the Charley Davidson Series
Published By: St. Martin's Press (October 30, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!


Book Description:
Welcome to the world of grim reaper extraordinaire Charley Davidson. Try as she might, there’s no avoiding her destiny.
Sometimes being the grim reaper really is, well, grim. And since Charley’s last case went so awry, she has taken a couple of months off to wallow in the wonders of self-pity. But when a woman shows up on her doorstep convinced someone is trying to kill her, Charley has to force herself to rise above...or at least get dressed. It becomes clear something is amiss when everyone the woman knows swears she’s insane. But the more they refute the woman’s story, the more Charley believes it.

In the meantime, the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, is out of prison and out of Charley’s life, as per her wishes and several perfectly timed death threats. But his absence has put a serious crimp in her sex life. While there are other things to consider, like the fact that the city of Albuquerque has been taken hostage by an arsonist, Charley is having a difficult time staying away. Especially when it looks like Reyes may be involved.

Just when life was returning to normal, Charley is thrust back into the world of crime, punishment, and the devil in blue jeans in this hilarious fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling series.









Goodness I love this series and I just can't seem to get enough of it, really it is like crack to a druggie good. I find myself thinking about the characters long after I shouldn't be and wondering what if and what abouts and who knows what else while really, I should be concentrating on something else entirely, like quite possibly the other book in front of me, but alas, I'm not. I may have picked up Charley's ADD-ness somewhere along the way. 

Dang Charley and her irresistible-ness and Reyes and his hotness. Dang this series! I think it very well may have ruined me for all other UF series (well, ones that I don't already love at least).

I am pretty sure I have said this before but just in case I haven't, Jones is a genius. Truly she packs everything I love in a book, into characters and plots,  into her stories and then she adds a little extra just in case they weren't fabulous enough already.

This book had a different feel than the others, after all that transpired in book three, Charley is bruised battered and a little worse for wear but it doesn't take away from her character or her awesomeness, in fact it adds to it. It makes her feel even more real. Even more alive. She might be a Reaper but she isn't immune to the affects of the world, to harshness, to danger or to death. 

I really felt for Charley as she struggled through her injuries, both physical and mental. PTSD is a horrible thing and you could really feel Charley's struggle with it. She isn't use to being vulnerable or really even scared. Her life has been in danger before and she has always come through beautifully but this time was different in so many ways. And not only is she dealing with her injuries but with other things as well.

Charley is finally coming to terms with who she is and what that means as well as recognizing her feelings towards the sexy as all get out Reye. It isn't easy being the son of Satan and it's even harder having a soft spot for him. 

Jones once again delivers with a sexy as sin fourth installment in her kick butt series and the girl has me completely and utterly hooked. 

This series just gets better and better. 





*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

32 comments:

  1. They ARE like crack! I've been going through withdraws since I finished the 5th book. Thankfully the 6th with be here soon. Maybe I attempt to only read a chapter a day so it lasts longer. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, good luck with that. I know you will be just like me and devour the whole thing as soon as you get it.

      Delete
  2. Hehehe..yes Ali Jones is a genius and I <3 this series and it's characters.I get excited all over again just reading your review!! FYI, the next book is my favorite to date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I read it and loved it too Kim. I am dying to get my hands on book six!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this series yet, but I LOVE stories about grim reapers- just added the first book to my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Finley you need to read this one NOW, it is awesome.

      Delete
  4. I NEED TO GET CAUGHT UP ON THIS SERIES ALI!!! And yes, this is a series worthy of all caps. I'm still back on book two and that's unacceptable. I need more Charley and more REYES. More of everything really. So glad you think the series just gets better as it goes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is worth it Jenny. I just love this series and am going through withdraws not having one to read.

      Delete
  5. I so need to continue this series! I've only read the first one and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read these!! My library and bookstore don't have the first book...I need to look around more or get it online sometime soon though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were just on sale for $1.99 it might still be (on Amazon).

      Delete
  7. I hear so many awesome things about this series. One of these days I know I'll break down and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I just can't get enough of this series, or Charley and Reyes, for that matter. I just read the first chapter of Sixth Grave yesterday, and I can already see we have a lot to look forward to.
    Fabulous review, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you are finally catching up on the series. I remember this is the one where she is a home shopping junky. Too funny! I am so anxious for book 6!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had these on my TBR list for a while...I cannot wait to get to them. They sound so fantastic. I love the cover! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe I tend to finish her books in one sitting. I absolutely love her

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you I just love this series, it's always amazing to read each book. I had book 6 2 days ago and now can't wait to start it! So impatient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is killing me waiting to read it!

      Delete
  13. I am once again kicking myself for being so behind in this series! Everyone seems to love it, and I'm glad to hear the story is still going strong this far in. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren and I hope you can get around to it soon because it really is worth the read (and then some!).

      Delete
  14. I've had this series on my wish list for a while now. I think I added because of your previous reviews. Now I really want to find time to start it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should Ellen, it is amazing and you will be hooked for sure!

      Delete
  15. I really, really want to read this series. I'm glad that you are still loving the series and even though you thought this one had a different feel to it it was still awesome.

    Great review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do decide to read it Michelle because it really is fabulous and so worth it to read. I think each book just gets better and better.

      Delete