Friday, November 7, 2014

Review: Delia's Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer

Title: Delia's Shadow
Author: Jaime Lee Moyer
Series: Book One in the Delia Martin Series
Published By: Tor (September 17, 2013)
Source: Won
Genre: Fantasy Mystery
My Rating: 4 Stars!

Book Description:
A dark, romantic fantasy set against the backdrop of San Francisco devastated by the Great Quake...

It is the dawn of a new century in San Francisco and Delia Martin is a wealthy young woman whose life appears ideal. But a dark secret colors her life, for Delia’s most loyal companions are ghosts, as she has been gifted (or some would say cursed) with an ability to peer across to the other side.

Since the great quake rocked her city in 1906, Delia has been haunted by an avalanche of the dead clamoring for her help. Delia flees to the other side of the continent, hoping to gain some peace. After several years in New York, Delia believes she is free…until one determined specter appears and she realizes that she must return to the City by the Bay in order to put this tortured soul to rest.

It will not be easy, as the ghost is only one of the many victims of a serial killer who was never caught. A killer who after thirty years is killing again. 

And who is now aware of Delia’s existence.









If there is one thing you can count on about me it is that I love a good ghost story, it doesn't matter the time of day, year, season, month, I just love a good haunting tale that will leave you freaked out and sleeping with the lights on. Be it a murder mystery with vengeful spirits or a sweet tale of someone simply wanting to pass a message on to a loved one, I love them all. 

This was the best kind of ghost story. One with a mixed blend of genres that will leave you breathless and completely enthralled. A dark tale set in a time long ago that is just as much rich in detail as it is in mystery. 

You will be left swooning at the subtle sweet romance that is just enough lightness to really keep this story from being too much. From being too much about an evil madman on the loose murdering the innocent and from it being too haunting to want to continue. Instead you will be wrapped up in the story and eager to learn more and for Gabe and Jack to catch the culprit.

This has everything I love in a good historical, everything I love in a good ghost story, and everything I love in a really good suspenseful mystery. 

The next book is high on my priority list because I can't wait for more.






*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

48 comments:

  1. sound like a good book, Lovely Review :D

    you can check my Blog here:
    http://cachereads.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm so SO happy you liked this! This was such a surprise for me, an irresistible blend of genres. I loved the characters and the story itself. I have yet to read A Barricade in Hell, but I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO SO HAPPY YOU LIKED IT. Great review.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so much about this book, Ali. I have a copy of it but I haven't had the chance to read it. I like the idea of blending genres and the sweet romance appeals to me.
    Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You haven't read this one, I thought you had. This is an excellent series, and I am eager for more. Glad you finally got to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope and I still need to get to book two but I will.

      Delete
  6. I won the second book but haven't got this first one yet. I really love books with ghosts though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you enjoyed this, I am loving the series and cannot wait for more. I love the historical serting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh you totally gave me a case of *grabby hands* That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh Kindlemom, this one looks good. I love the cover and the premise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh! So glad you enjoyed this one Ali. I have this one on my wishlist - I need to hunt a copy down because your review has me back in the mood for a ghost mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you do read it, I think you will really like it Kim.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you liked this one. It's been on my wish list for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm glad you enjoyed it! The series is so good and I had a wonderful time with them both. I hope book 2 will be as good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read this one so much because of ghosts :P Pretty much the same reason why you did, too :P The second book is already out, too! Are you going to read it soon?

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ghost aspect is fantastic. I think you will like it Faye. :)

      Delete
  14. oh gosh yes, I want to read this series so bad. I love a good ghost story I do, even if I am a chicken heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really wasn't too scary, I think you would be fine with it.

      Delete
  15. I love the idea of a book set against the backdrop of the great quake. Sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY! I am super super excited to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I loved this one too! Gosh I hated that they didn't release an arc for the second one LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tor sent me both books when they were released, but I gave them to my neighbor. I want to read them, but I don't like reading physical copies anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like them Christy but I hear you on the physical copies. It is funny how easy it was to get use to having a lighter feeling kindle.

      Delete
  19. I like a good ghost story too, and I love that this one is mixing the genres. I need to read it!

    Glad you loved it and I am excited (and scared ) to have a new book introduced to me.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great series, I do hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  20. I've seen this cover around before, but was never really that drawn in for some reason. After reading the summary and your review, though, this book sounds great :) The premise is so interesting with it being set around the time of the 1904 earthquake and I love a sweet romance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely don't do horror and ghosts anything. Unless they're friendly, funny, and innocent ghosts. But this sounds super suspenseful and REALLY interesting. I love the background of the story already!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it though! :) Great review~
    Cindy @ In This World of Books..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, this really wasn't too scary at all, more intense moments than anything else.

      Delete
  22. Yay I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this one too - it seems like everyone is a fan of this one. I need to catch up on my TBR pile and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've noticed this book on Edelweiss (unfortunately, they did not approve my request). Historical, fantasy, ghosts, beautiful cover: how can you resist that? :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was great because of the mix of genres. :) Sorry you didn't get approved for it. :(

      Delete