Thursday, July 30, 2015

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Title: Slammed
Author: Colleen Hoover
Series: Book One in the Slammed Series
Published: January 5, 2012
Source: Purchased
Genre: NA Contemporary
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart. 








Sometimes there is writing that will grab you from the very first page and characters so darn lovable and memorable that they make it impossible not to fall in love with them from the very beginning. You instantly connect, like, care, and want to know more about them. Instantly invested, concerned, and ready to cheer them on.

That book, those characters, are Slammed , that are what made it so very wonderful. 

I knew I like Hoover's work before starting this, heck I would even say I loved it, but it wasn't until this read that I was truly over the moon enamored with it and the very worst part about it, the embarrassing part, is that I have had this in my TBR pile sitting on my kindle since it was self pubbed, yes you read that right, SELF-pubbed years ago and I refused to read it for whatever reason. Smacks self and kicks my own butt. Stupid stupid girl.

I smiled, I cried and I smiled and cried some more, in many places and not even just with Lake and Will's story but with Eddie and the boys as well. There wasn't a single moment, a single character, that wasn't amazing, that didn't make me want more, hold my breath or even think for a moment, that I needed a break, a time out. I didn't eat, I didn't sleep, I read until I came to the very last page and then I wanted to start it all over again. 

Truly an amazing story and my favorite yet. Hands down once again to Hoover for writing something worthy of the genre. Stand out, fun, emotional, heartfelt and overall wonderful. Will and Layken will stick with you long after you put the book down.




58 comments:

  1. Colleen Hoover is like the queen of NA contemporary. I cried too when I read Ugly Love and Maybe Someday, but I don't even know why I haven't read this. Shoot me now. *cries* Wonderful review, Kindlemom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and definitely read this, truly fabulous!

      Delete
  2. YAY so glad you loved this one! It was my first Colleen Hoover and she really hasn't failed me since. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what started me on Hoover and I almost didn't read it..but won a copy and everyone was raving about it. Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Kim! I'm so glad you did read it and that you loved it. ;)

      Delete
  4. Great review!! I remember reading this book, when it was self-published, and falling in love with Colleen's writing. She is why I started reading NA and definitely my favorite author. Glad you picked this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! This is it all started. My love for this author knows no bounds. I'm so glad you loved this! <3 Will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will was amazing, this whole series was actually pretty fun. ;)

      Delete
  6. I loved loved loved this book when I first read it, Ali. There is just something so special about her writing. I can't really pinpoint what it is. I'm so happy to see you loved it. It makes me want to re-read it. :)
    Wonderful review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Nick, she just has a way with words that makes it so beautiful and stand out.

      Delete
  7. I still have yet to read Colleen Hoover. I KNOW, ALI!!! I can't believe I haven't, I think I fear how emotional her books will make me so I shy away from them. Which is weird because I love getting emotional. Who knows what my problem is ;-) SO glad you finally got around to this one after having it for so long and that you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenny, you so need to read one of her books! I highly recommend starting here. I really think you will like this one. ;)

      Delete
  8. Okay, so I have to admit I've read two Colleen Hoover novels, I didn't hate them but I didn't catch the Hoover fever. I still have Ugly Love, and Maybe Someday to read. Maybe, I'll enjoy this one as well. Great review, I'm totally feeling the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is different from her others since it was her first, you might just like it more. ;)

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, I love the blub I'm already intrigued then that fab review. I gotta have it! Thanks Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I really hope you do read this and love it Debbie!

      Delete
  10. I'm the same! I got this around the same time but its still unread. I was told it'll rip me to shreds because the storyline is too close to home. Still not brave enough to try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an emotional read but so worth it too. Try it. :)

      Delete
  11. I've had this book for AGES and still haven't read it either!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read both her Ugly Love and Maybe Someday and now you're getting me excited for Slammed! Her books are always very emotional though so I may have to prepare myself for this haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely have to prepare for this one but it is so worth it!

      Delete
  13. Oh, smiling and crying are good signs! I have to make time for this :) Lovely review - as always! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard so much about this author, but I have read any of her books yet. Perhaps because of the hype and the emotional reading, but you have me curious now, Ali. Maybe I should pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good thing you read it now! Better late than never. I can't believe I missed out on Colleen Hoover until this year. Her writing is the most addictive writing ever. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was all excited to read this ,but then I read This Girl the companion book that told the tale through his view point, and it was good but I wasn't amazed. Maybe I need to go back and read the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I read the others and they weren't as good as this one for sure.

      Delete
  17. I loved this one as well! This one is a good starter Colleen Hoover book for those that haven't read her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember hearing a lot of amazing things about this book! It was HUGE when it first came out. I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have me intrigued! I've never read anything by her, but it sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. yay! I've only tried Maybe Someday by the author and I really enjoyed it but I really need to read something else now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try this one, I think you will like it!

      Delete
  21. I think it's impossible for me not to enjoy a Colleen Hoover book. This wasn't one of my favorites, but I still REALLY enjoyed it! So much CoHo love!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you did like it even if it wasn't a favorite. :)

      Delete
  22. Hells yeah, 100% I agree with you. This one gets you from page one. So emotional, so much feels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am glad that you loved this so much. I own this book but have not cracked it open. Your lovely review has me craving it now. I love that it grabs you straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved this one, too! I read it years ago when it was self-published. I'm not as fond of some of CoHo's more recent writings, unfortunately, but this series was a complete win. Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachel, glad you loved this as well. :D

      Delete
  25. Wow! This sounds amazing! The synopsis alone is intriguing, but your review has sold me; I'll have to look into this one! I've been reading some pretty crummy books :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh a book slump is the worst. I hope this pulls you out of it.

      Delete
  26. I still have yet to read anything by Colleen Hoover but I hear her stuff is awesome and this review only makes me more excited to give one of her books a chance. The characters sound so awesome, and I love a book that can make me feel so many emotions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I think you will really love her because she definitely knows how to do that. ;)

      Delete
  27. I just read my first by her and really liked it. You have me super curious now. As in I am on my way to Amazon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had this on my tbr and then never got to it and then wasn't sure about it, but I guess I need to put it back on there and see what I think. Great review!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it! There is some bad language but that is about it. ;)

      Delete