Thursday, September 22, 2016

Review: Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Title: Edenbrooke
Author: Julianne Donaldson
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Shadow Mountain (March 27, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Historical Romance
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
Marianne Daventry will do anything to escape the boredom of Bath and the amorous attentions of an unwanted suitor. So when an invitation arrives from her twin sister, Cecily, to join her at a sprawling country estate, she jumps at the chance. Thinking she'll be able to relax and enjoy her beloved English countryside while her sister snags the handsome heir of Edenbrooke, Marianne finds that even the best laid plans can go awry. From a terrifying run-in with a highwayman to a seemingly harmless flirtation, Marianne finds herself embroiled in an unexpected adventure filled with enough romance and intrigue to keep her mind racing. Will Marianne be able to rein in her traitorous heart, or will a mysterious stranger sweep her off her feet? Fate had something other than a relaxing summer in mind when it sent Marianne to Edenbrooke.








I have seen mention of this story being a retelling and while I don't quite agree with that because it very much is its own story, it is very reminiscent of something right out of an Austen novel and is something all fans of Austen should immediately pick up and devour. 

I found myself surfing my movies shelf looking for something like Jane Eyre, or Pride and Prejudice the other night and not quite finding something new but still along those lines, I decided instead after having it on my book shelf for more than a year, to pick this up instead.

I'm so glad that I did because not only was I immediately swept into the wonderful world of England during the 19th century but with wonderful characters that were easy to like and relate to. 

With a sweet burning romance that was not only clean but completely heart pounding in it's sweetness and with it's tender moments. I truly did not want this to end but at the same time couldn't turn the pages fast enough to see how it would end.

I absolutely adored this and plan on reading pretty much everything and anything else this author comes out with. It gave me exactly what I was looking for and so much more. 








*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

36 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Love when I get that oh it can't end yet!! feeling :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few books in my time and know a good one from a bad one. This site is more than useful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds lovely!! Beautiful cover too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds good Kindlemom, I don't like when they call a novel a retelling then I feel like a fool for not seeing the comparisons. Sounds like a good choice for a historical fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it can be hard, especially when it is a classic and then it sets your expectations for it. Thankfully this turned out fabulous.

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of this one before Ali! I'm definitely in the mood for historicals at the moment though, so this is going on my list for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so swoon worthy Jenny, you will love it!

      Delete
  6. I'm usually pretty familiar with Shadow Mountain authors Donaldson is new to me. Thanks for introducing her work to me, Alli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could tell you about it Tyler, it really is fabulous!

      Delete
  7. This sounds delightful Ali, and yep I am an Austen fan so on my list it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! I think you will love it Kim, I had such a hard time putting it down.

      Delete
  8. Not my type of book but thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable, thanks for stopping by and commenting anyways. ;)

      Delete
  9. Oh My Gosh, I LOVE THIS BOOK! I LOVE the Author. I am so glad you liked this book! It makes my heart happy. I have read it and listened to it several times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see a re-read in my future Becca. ;)

      Delete
  10. I havent' seen this author or book before, but it looks like something I should check out. I am all about sweet and fluffy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Few books grab me in such a way that I don't want them to end. I'm glad it happened to you, and although I'm not an Austen fan, I might have more luck with something else along those lines, something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might, you never know! It was pretty captivating and definitely swoon worthy. :D

      Delete
  12. I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds great. I'm so glad you loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin, it is always fun to find a new author to love. :D

      Delete
  13. Great review! I actually own this because I love this type of retelling and I'd seen great reviews so reading yours reminded me that I seriously need to finally read this! Glad you loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it when it first came out and then saw a review of it and remembered I needed to read it, so glad I finally did, it was definitely worth it. Hopefully you will think so too. :D

      Delete
  14. Awww sounds like an easy read too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, it just flew by and even though I really want to savor it.

      Delete
  15. This sounds wonderful and who can resist something reminiscent of Jane Eyre! Yes to a 5 star read, Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh, gotta love when a book finds us at just the right time.

    Btw ... Hi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not my usual go to but you sure make it sound wonderful, as did the blurb. This could be a maybe for me so adding it to my GoodReads. Thanks Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. It really was and was just what I needed at the time, which is always so nice.

      Delete