Thursday, April 19, 2012

Indie Book of the Week; Shaman, Friend, Enemy by M. Terry Green

I am so excited for this weeks indie book of the week.
Yes I know, I am excited a lot but, I can't help it. I love discovering new talented authors and new series even more.

I recently reviewed the first book in the series, Shaman, Healer, Herectic and loved it so I was really excited to be starting the next book in the series( and this weeks book of the week), Shaman Friend, Enemy.

Synopsis:
 Patients with fractured souls, clients threatened by deadly ancestor spirits, and now the paparazzi–it’s all in a day’s work for techno-shaman Olivia Lawson. Livvy has rocketed to the top of the shaman world, bringing old friends with her but also attracting new enemies.
Even as her career soars, her personal life spirals downward. Broken bonds and lost love finally force her to confront the terrible secret of her beginning in shamanism. Despite being attacked by dark shamans and navigating a spiritual plane that seems out of control, Livvy’s single-minded quest steers her into dangerous territory and puts her on a collision course with those dearest to her.
No longer interested in walking a fine line, Livvy discovers that–when the one thing you need is the one thing you can’t have–you’ll risk everything.

My Thoughts:

After reading the first book in the Olivia Lawson Techno-Shaman series, Shaman, Healer, Heretic I knew that the second book was going to be a must read.

Green quickly won me over with her amazing writing and storyline. I was really looking forward to learning more about Livvy, Min, SK and the other shamans. I knew there was so much more to their stories than what we got in the first book and I couldn't wait to discover them, in fact I was suppose to be reading a couple of other books before this one but after finishing the first book, I had to start this one right away. I knew it couldn't wait.

The sequel starts out months (about a year) after the first one ended, with the shaman having defeated Tiamat and the shaman world has drastically changed because of it.

Suddenly shamans everywhere are in demand and have become celebrities of sorts, well maybe not all of them, but Livvy sure has. In fact she is constantly in the media's attention and in high demand so much so that she is attracting attention from not only admirers, but enemies as well.

We also learn early on that Livvy is up to something, something that could be dangerous and have very real and very bad consequences on her life and the multiverse. What she is up to and why, however, we aren't told right away.

I really love how this story unfolded. I loved SK in this one even more than the last. He is such a great guy. Min was wonderful and I love that we even got to see Ursula, Mamacita and Alvina again and meet some new people as well, both good and bad.

I liked the fact that we weren't left hanging with any of Liv's secrets or past, that every question I had was answered, even some that I didn't think to ask.

While the ending wasn't exactly a cliffhanger, it does make you wonder where the series will go from here and it will leave you eagerly anticipating it. In fact, I need to go look up when it will be because I want it soon!

This has quickly become a must read series for me and I plan on reading every single last one of the books Green writes in it, which is why I have no issues giving this book a very solid 5 out of 5 Stars.



4 comments:

  1. Ali,

    What can I say?

    Other than "thank you so much" I just want you to know how much reviews like this mean to a writer. I am truly excited that you're excited. It makes me want to dash back to the keyboard to work!

    Thank you very much,
    I'm off!

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome Terry!! :)
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds like it gets better and better. I have always been fascinated by shamans and this sounds so exciting. I am definitlely going to have to give these a try. So glad you introduced me to this series, Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do hope you try it Heidi, it is a great series!

    ReplyDelete