Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Title: Hemlock
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Series: Book One in the Hemlock Series
Published By: Harper Collins (May 8, 2012)
Source: ARC provided by the Publisher
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 5 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.


My Review:

I don't normally seek out books about werewolves, I just don't. Werewolf books and I have a weird relationship. I am always drawn to the idea of them but hardly ever find myself enjoying them. I don't even know why really, I just find myself wanting to skim pages and have it be done with already, with a few exceptions of course.

So when I once again found myself drawn to this book and its gorgeous cover, I didn't really know if I actually wanted to read it. What is I was disappointed? Even after reading some of the other great reviews about it from reviewers I trust?

Did I really want to be disappointed again and potentially waste my time when I have so many other great books to read and review?

So I almost didn't pick this one up. I almost didn't read it.

Goodness I can be an idiot sometimes.

This wasn't like other books about werewolves. These are big fluffy cuddly dogs with occasional attitudes. Nope.

These are beasts that can be blood thirsty and down right evil and scary.

Real monsters that lurk in the night. Monsters that might go to school with you or live next door from you. People you know and trust and people who would turn on you in an instant.

I found myself completely taken in by the story and characters. I really enjoyed the world building and getting to know Mac, Jason, Kyle, Amy, Serena, Tess, Ben and well, all of them really. Even the secondary characters were real and loveable and some just down right evil.

I loved the slight romance, the mystery, secrets, lies. It had a little bit of it all. I don't want to say too much more because quite frankly, I don't want to ruin it and give anything else away. So I will finish with saying this. I can't wait for the second book and I really think this is one you will want to try for yourself. Lover of weres or not.


4 comments:

  1. Yeah, so nice to see that this is much more than a pretty cover. Scary, vicious werewolves with mystery, sounds like a great read. You better pass this along to Cambria, I am sure she will love this one. Hope you have a great weekend. We are supposed to have another nice weekend here. I spent last weekend the best so far this year in bed with strep throat...yeah go figure. This weekend though I am going out to barbeque!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely have to let Cambria know about it!

    I hope you have a fabulous BBQ and weekend Heidi!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds beyond amazing. Thanks for the great review. I love a dose of mystery and para. Another one for the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steph!
    Unless the next book is horrible (which I doubt will happen) I can totally see them becoming a favorite series!

    ReplyDelete