Sunday, July 1, 2012

Indie Book of the Week; Florence by Ciye Cho

This week, once again, I am bringing you you my Indie Book of the Week a little early. Instead of finishing the week with it, I am starting the week with it.

It seems this summer has been filled with lots of activity and posts and unexpected events in my blogging world. And while it does throw my weekly memes off slightly, it has been a lot of fun. Hopefully once things settle down I can once again post this at my regular time of the week but until then, I am just thankful to be able to read such fabulous books by fabulous authors that are willing to share their talent with me.

So without further ado, I bring you Florence by Ciye Cho.


 Synopsis:
 Seventeen-year-old Florence Waverley is out of her depth. Literally. Kidnapped and taken below the waves to the mer world of Niemela, she is the ultimate gift for merman Prince Kiren: a human familiar tied to his side. But nothing is what it seems amid the beauty and danger of a dark ocean.

Every Niemelan has a role to play, from the mermaids who weave towers out of kelp to the warriors who fight sea monsters. But in trying to survive, Florence will end up in the middle of a war between the mer and the Darkness. A conflict that will push her between two brothers: Kiren, the charmer inexplicably drawn to both her and the monsters; and Rolan, the loner who has been pushing her away since the day they met. But in order to take a stand--and find out where she belongs--Florence will have to risk it all: her life, her heart... and her very soul.

My Thoughts and Review:
I have to start by saying that I adore this cover. It is so pretty and eye catching. I think the artist did a fabulous job on it and it is worth the mention before I start my review.

As many of you know, I have a very love hate type of relationship with books that involve mermaids, nymphs, sirens and the sort. I love to read about them but I have a really hard time finding ones that are unique but not strange and just ones that I truly have fun reading and enjoy that keep my attention.

Why this is, I really am not sure. Maybe my expectations for them run too high. Maybe the Disney movie The Little Mermaid ruined all other stories about them for me, I really don't know. At any rate, when I find ones that I do enjoy, I feel I must share them with others in the hope that they too will like them and have fun reading them.

I am happy to say this was one of those books.

Cho had such a fresh new approach with this book that I found myself immersed in the story and being swept away with the different but fun look into the life of the mer or Niemelan as the case may be with this book.

The characters and storyline were great and engaging and really did like how this wasn't your typical story about mermaids and someone finding out that they were a long lost princess or siren. 

I love that the author didn't make this story too predictable but it wasn't too far fetched out there either. There were things that I didn't see coming and the ending left it wide open for a sequel which I would really like to see. 

I think this could turn into quite the fun little series. 

I think anyone that enjoys this type of book will be swept away by it as well.

Overall I give this one a very solid 4 Stars.


You can Purchase Florence Here on Amazon if you are interested in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment