Thursday, March 27, 2014

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Series: Book One in the Divergent Series
Published By: Katherine Tegen Books (May 3, 2011)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Dystopian
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Book Description:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.












Why did I not start this one sooner?

This is the very question I was asking myself as I became immersed in the pages of Tris's story. What can I say, I loved every minute of it and devoured it in one sitting. How could I have waited so long to start this? What was holding me back?

The hype. I am always leery of hype and more often than not, it keeps me from starting series rather than diving into them. Not a great known fact but one nonetheless. 

But after starting this I still can't believe I let the hype get to me and hold me back. I mean really, is it possible not to love Tris and Four?

All I have to say is this, don't let the hype (good or bad) hold you back or keep you from picking this up, it is worth it, I promise. Whether you love it or hate it, the experience will be worth it. 

I honestly went into this with little expectations. I didn't want to get my hopes up on loving it and being disappointed. I didn't want to be let down once again by a promised “this book will blow you away” deal I just feared wouldn't live up to my expectations and hopes. And with the movie hitting theaters soon, the hype was even more fantastical than when it was first released. 

What I wasn't expecting, was for this to exceed all my secreted away hopes and wishes for it. That I would indeed love it  In fact I wouldn't even say I loved so much as tell you that I couldn't stop thinking about this each time I had to put it down or long after the story had ended. I liked it so much I would even go so far as to say this will make my top 20 for the year and the year is only a third over and I still know this will be in my top 20. 

Roth really has created something that stands out. Some fantastical. Something amazing that will make your heart pump in fear one minute because of the unknown and the dangers and pump again in a rush of excitement the next. With heroes every bit that live up to the meaning of the word and conspiracies that are gut wrenching as much as they are sickening. 

This was quite the ride. One I didn't want to come down from and one I know I will take all over again in the future and one I am not even close to being ready for it to be over. 

Only two more books to go, will I survive the ride?





*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by an outside source. I was not compensated for this review.*

26 comments:

  1. I am so glad you liked it. The first two are FANTASTIC. I wish I could say the same about the third, but I cannot wait to hear what you think about it. Have you seen the movie yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not yet, I was waiting until I read this one. ;)

      I am so nervous about the last book I am scared to start the second!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy you read and liked this book. I avoided it for same reasons, but it's so worth your time. Just wait until you read final book.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so nervous about that final book already I haven't read the second, I know, shame on me.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this series and put off reading it for the same reason as you, but now I'm changing my mind. Wow, what a great reading experience. I'm so glad you enjoyed Divergent :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!! So glad you finally got a chance to read this one Ali! I really enjoyed this first book as well (and have you seen the movie yet? LOVED). I put this book and Anna and the French Kiss off for a very long time just because of the hype, it's almost like the more people love a book the less inclined I am to pick it up because I don't want to be that one person who doesn't see what all the fuss is about:) So thrilled you were a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I haven't seen the movie yet but it is next on my list of things I really need to do.

      Delete
  5. I loved Divergent and Insurgent. But, after hearing the uproar over Allegiant and having a close friend tell me not to read it, I don't know if I'll ever pick it up. Maybe some day.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of feel the same way, I don't want the whole series to be ruined for me.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the third one but I was hoping to this month to get it off of my TBR, so maybe next? I'm glad you loved this though, I did too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do I can't wait to see what you thought of it Candace.

      Delete
  7. I still need to get to Allegiant but Ali you are rocking that TBR pile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I have been trying like crazy to get things read!

      Delete
  8. I wasn't planning on reading this series, but after all the hype it's been getting, and now with the movie out; I kinda feel like I HAVE to. I don't want to feel left out. LOL It sounds like it's going to be well-worth my time though. Great review!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmel! This the movie being out and all the hype that is why I finally picked it up as well. I didn't want to miss out either! ;)

      Delete
  9. I am glad to see you read this. I loved the first book, book two was a bit of a disappointment, I need to read the third book still, I keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I don't want to be disappointed! i might wait a little longer before starting the rest too. :(

      Delete
  10. I just started this today! Since my original copy disappeared, I bought the 3-in-1 edition. I'm contemplating reading them all straight through. Idk, I might get burned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the first two book in this series (I'm afraid to read book 3), and I'm taking my youngest sister to see the movie this weekend. I'm glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard so many people say that Jessica. It does make me nervous.

      Delete
  12. That's okay I bought the first book but haven't started it yet either /ducks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't started the second LOL and I might never...

      Delete
  13. Fabulous review. I adored Divergent. I read it like 4 times. The movie was excellent also and stayed really close to what happens in the book. Insurgent was okay, but not near the caliber of Divergent. Allegiant thoroughly and completely disappointed me. It just left me in a dither for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see the movie. I really do think I might not read the other books. I don't want it to ruin how much I loved this one.

      Delete