Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins




Title: Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins
Series: Book One in the Sweet Trilogy
Published By: Harper Teen (May 1, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Paranormal/Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!

Book Description:
Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?






I have been waiting a very long time to meet Kaidan Rowe, a very long time. I wanted to wait to start this trilogy until I knew all the books were out because honestly, I didn't want to wait if I fell in love with it and how could I not fall in love with it when there is a hotty (did you catch the two “t's”?) bad boy involved?

I started this one just knowing I was going to love it and maybe I shouldn't have because...well, I didn’t love it. At least not to start with. I think I had built up Kaidan a little too much in my head and that, well, that just sucks. It didn't help the books cause at all that I had read Kaidan's extra  scenes (all in his point of view) before starting this and I absolutely loved them and so I was a little disappointed when I started this and saw that it was all in Anna's point of view. 

Don't get me wrong, I really like Anna, she is sweet and innocent and pretty wonderful but I wanted to see inside the pretty boy's head once in a while, I liked (really liked) the extra scenes darn it! 

Oh who am I kidding though? I loved this anyway. And yes, a huge amount of that love is because of the bad boy. Yes Kaidan won my heart with his bad boy sweetness. How could I resist him even if this wasn't in his point of view? I couldn't, I am weak. 

Anyone that knows me knows books about angels and demons just aren't (usually) my thing. I want to like them, heck I want to love them but I just don't, with few exceptions.

This is one of those exceptions. The writing was beautiful, the characters are amazing and the plot was action packed, tension filled and kept me eagerly turning the pages.

I am dying to dive right into book two, I can't wait.




*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by an outside source. I was not compensated for this review.*

27 comments:

  1. I've had this book sitting on a shelf since it came out. I'm glad you liked it, especially since angels & demons isn't typically your thing (mine either), but maybe I will love it too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried reading this one a few months ago and couldn't get into it :-/ Maybe I need to read those extra scenes huh :)
    Bethzaida @ Bookittyblog

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY ALI!!!! I'm so glad you ended up enjoying it even if you were a bit let down by Kaidan due to all the build up. Especially since you'd read all his POV scenes, finding out it's only Anna's POV after reading those would definitely be a bitter pill to swallow. So happy this still got a 4 from you and that it's one of your angel/demon exceptions!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised at how different this book was from expectation. I just scheduled books two and three on my blog and I am anxious to continue the story as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen this book around but I still it's a good thing I didn't read much about Kaidan! Maybe I'll enjoy it more. I'm so glad you enjoyed it Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came out a few years ago Tanja, it is so worth the read!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this one too Ali, but have yet to read book two and three, thanks for reminded me why I need too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny, the same exact thing happened to me, I had built Kaidan up in my mind so much, and then reading book one, it was all about Anna and I was kind of let down too, but in the end I loved it. Great review, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL funny how a couple of us did that and then still had the same feelings about it in the end. Glad you still liked it as well Lauren.

      Delete
  8. Sounds AWESOME!!!! Great review

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha - getting in his head first spoiled you! I'm not always big on the angel and demon thing either. Well, demons, yeah. :D I might still read this trilogy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did, I don't suggest doing that first. :P

      Delete
  10. I have yet to start this series to, and I have all three of the books right now that I plan to read back to back. You have me itching to get started. Love the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading them back to back is a smart choice, you will want to anyways they really are that good. ;)

      Delete
  11. Book envy right here! I been wanting to read this one too, gah so many.. I think my library has it.. I want to meet Kaidan :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to meet Kaidan, he makes it so worth the read!

      Delete
  12. When this first came out it seems like everyone was just RAVING about it and someone even gifted me a copy. I'm not always a fan of the angels and demons trope (like you) so I'm glad this was an exception. I'll have to try to read this now that I can read through the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely different from other angel and demon books I have read, which may be why I liked it so much. It was preachy or too over the top at all.

      Delete
  13. I don't like to wait for sequels so I usually wait at least for three books in series to come out.
    Honestly, I am not completely sure about this trilogy because I've heard a lot of negative things about it, mostly predictable plot. I am still glad that you enjoyed it - maybe I'll try to read it. I think that sometimes I'm too hard on YA paranormal novels.:/

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete