Monday, March 24, 2014

Review: Second Grave on the Left and Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones

Title: Second Grave on the Left
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Book Two in the Charley Davidson Series
Published By: St. Martin's Press (August 16, 2011)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!

Book Description:
If you hang around with dead people, life can get pretty complicated. Take it from Charley Davidson, part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper. Complicated is her middle name. The deceased find her very sparkly. Demons find her irresistible. And one entity in particular wants to seduce her in every way possible.
When Charley and Cookie (her best friend/receptionist) have to track down a missing woman, the case is not quite as open and shut as they anticipate. Cookie's friend Mimi disappeared five days earlier. Mimi then sends Cookie a cryptic message telling Cookie to meet her at an nearby coffee shop. The coffee is brewing, but Mimi's still missing. There is, however, a clue Mimi left on the bathroom wall: a woman's name. Mimi's husband explains to them that his wife had been acting strange since she found out an old high school friend had been murdered. The same woman whose name Mimi had scribbled on the bathroom wall.

Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally) has left his corporeal body and is haunting Charley. He's left his body because he's being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can't let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they'll have a portal to heaven...well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Can she keep those she loves out of harm's way? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel her as she does?

Here is your signpost for the most hilarious read of the year: Second Grave on the Left.











I freaking love this series. Really there are no words out there to convey how much fun it is. It truly has everything and I do mean everything, I love in a good read. Mystery, humor (lots and lots of humor), a kick butt and sometimes goofy heroine, an action packed  fast moving plot, ghosts, reapers, a crazy fun loving best friend, a hot smexy son of Satan...

Yep, son of Satan, go figure. Have you meet Reyes because if not you really, really need to, like go right now and pick up the first book because you don't want to miss him and trust me on this, need to.

He is that yummy. He gives the term bad boy a whole new meaning, not to mention twist.

There really are too many things to list about why this series rocks but I am going to give it a shot. The writing is fabulous, Charley is slightly crazy, suffers from ADD, has a quite witty and loves sarcasm (really after that list, need I say more about why I love her?) a little deranged and just plain fabulous. Cookie is the best friend imaginable, he has Charley's back, is loyal and funny to boot. Mr Wong, is well, he's just plain creepy but I love him ahyways. 
Uncle Bob (affectionately labeled Ubie) is pretty terrific, he trusts Charley and most of all, he loves her and respects what she does without question. 

Garrett is fun loving and plays along with Charley's antics, so you know right there he is a good sport and it doesn't help that like Reyes, he too is super hot and has Charley's back.

Wait, did I say Reyes? fans self he might be the very best part of this whole series. Uber hot, uber moody, uber mysterious Reyes. Really, you just have to experience...errr, meet him for yourself to truly understand his appeal. 

And to top off all of that (and really, so much more) there is always a great mystery to solve as well as if  the awesomeness of the characters, the steamy sexual tension and the laugh out loud moments weren't enough for you.

Jones has made a fan out of me and I will read this series until the very end because it is just that great.







*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*










Title: Third Grave Dead Ahead
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Book Three in the Charley Davidson Series
Published By: St. Martin's Press (January 31, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Book Description:
Paranormal private eye. Grim reaper extraordinaire. Whatever. Charley Davidson is back! And she's drinking copious amounts of caffeine to stay awake because every time she closes her eyes she sees him: Reyes Farrow, the part-human, part-supermodel son of Satan.


Granted she did imprison Reyes for all eternity, but how is she supposed to solve a missing-persons case, deal with an ego-driven doctor, calm her curmudgeonly dad, and take on a motorcycle gang hell-bent on murder when the devil's son just won't give up on his plan of seduction..... and revenge?











This is just one of those series that I just can't stress enough how fabulous it is. I wish I could hang a banner overhead and announce to the world that this is one series they have to try, regardless of past likes or dislikes. 

I want to spread the word about it, shout it from the roof tops and shove the book into everyone's hands, kind of love. 

Cookie, Charley, Reyes, Ubie, Garrett, Amber, Angel...they are all characters that you just need to meet. Characters that stick with you and leave a lasting impression of their awesomeness long after the book has been put down and you are already on to the next. They feel like family by the time you are done reading all about what new shenanigan they got themselves into this time and you just can't wait to take part in the next one and hope like heck they will invite you along for the ride.

Even though the mystery is sometimes predictable you don't even care because you have such a blast along the way it makes it all worth it. Reyes and Charley make it worth it. Their heat, the sexual tension between them and of course the mystery about what in the heck they (them being there, them existing) all means, makes it worth it. And I love that with each new book we get just a little bit more to appease our questions and satiate our thirst. 

I am so loving this series and can't wait to pick up book four and dive right in. 








*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

26 comments:

  1. I know I already mentioned that I need to catch up on this series, but your high ratings have only motivated me even more. Also, it helps that books 1-3 are only $3 on Amazon right now . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! Like you said, this series really has it all. Mystery, paranormal, wonderful characters, not to mention that smokin romance. I need to catch up, I think I'm at book four and so excited to see what Charley gets into next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you read the shorts after book 5 as well that are on her website, so so worth it to read them!

      Delete
  3. I see that you're playing catch-up on this series as well! I still have to listen to Fifth Grave Past the Light before hits shelves on May 20th. I love Jones' humor & writing style, plus Lorelei King is a FAB narrator for this series. Ooh, and then of course there's Reyes... Yum! Great reviews. :)

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a must read series, so many great elements all together.

      I am so glad you are loving this series as much as I am!

      Delete
  4. You had me at sexual tension! This sounds freaking fabulous! I need to check this series out!
    Bethzaida @ Bookittyblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do because it really is fabulous!!

      Delete
  5. I've only read the first book, I'm awful! I'm so glad you are enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read the others Candace, they really do get better and better!

      Delete
  6. Yes, and the best part Ali..they just keep getting better. Seriously and Reyes OMG..swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh! I need to get caught up on this series Ali! I've only read the first book (but of course am already in love with Reyes), so I can't wait to see what other shenanigans Charley gets herself into. Plus, I need more Reyes. Just saying:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is it is about freaking time. You and Christy are finally getting caught up on this series. I love it as you know and I am eagerly waiting for book six. I think book three is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of those series that I know I'm gonna go crazy about once I start it so I still don't dare. I need more time on my schedule and I'll tackle them. I'm so glad you are enjoying this series. Great reviews, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really will love them Tanja! make time I promise you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  10. Whew ... at least we won't have to worry about Heidi causing us bodily harm now. lol. These definitely do seem to get better and better. I can't wait for the sixth book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes very thankful she won't be hunting us down anymore. ;)

      Delete
  11. I love this series. Charley rocks and she is soo funny and oh yes.. Reyes I agree..
    Reyes in the morning, Reyes in the evening. Reyes at supper time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do realize that you just have me a HUGE series to add to my TBR list. I am suppose to be getting control of it..hehehe! Sounds like a great series, and great reviews!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Becca but you won't be disappointed but I have to warn you, some scenes are steamy. ;)

      Delete
  13. Good! I'm so relieved that you're enjoying this! Charley is impossible not to love, ADD and all, and don't let me get started on Reyes! And she just keeps writing them better and better!
    Lovely reviews, Ali!

    ReplyDelete