Thursday, March 13, 2014

Review: Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins

Title: Sweet Peril
Author: Wendy Higgins
Series: Book Two in the Sweet Trilogy
Published By: Harper Teen (April 30, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars

Book Description:
Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things. 

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?








Have I mentioned before how very much I love this series and okay, not just because of Kai? Although he does play a huge factor in the part.

 I just love everything about it, which I have to confess is very unusual for me. Not because I am picky per se about what I read or even because I am hard to please. No, my unusual-ness stems from the very fact that I have this weird obsession with reading books that are about angels and demons and then promptly hating them and never thinking about them again.

It is a rare day indeed when I not only find a series (or trilogy) that hooks me but that also passes my good versus evil hang up I seem to have.

So yeah, I love this series. There is just something about it that draws the reader in and angels, demons, good, evil, it doesn't matter, you want to read it and you don't want to stop.

Do you think Higgins enthralled the pages somehow to lure us in? Cast a spell on the reader and refused to release them until you read every last single page?

Hmm, definitely something to think about. 

In fact, I think Higgins herself might just be an enchantress. One that knows how to make the words flow off the pages and turn them into a beautiful, action packed, heart pounding story. With character that feel alive and right there beside you. You are transported right into the thick of things and you get to see it all up close and personal and it is fascinating. 

I love how strong Anna is becoming, she isn't a naïve little girl anymore, in fact she has become quite the young woman. She is brave, smart and even a little kick butt and she still loves and cares fiercely about those around her.

Can I just say for the record that I love Patti and Belial? They are fantastic and I am so very glad Anna has them in her life.

The twins are growing on me as are Blake and Kope (okay, I already liked Kope, hard not to like the calm broody man!) and we even get a few other new faces that I loved as well.

And of course, Kai. Oh how I love that filthy mouthed English accented hooligan. Okay, he isn't a hooligan but I do love me a good bad boy and he is the epitome of bad boy and naughtiness but in all the good and right ways. I love him even more after this book. His good side really shines through and you just see how much he really cares for Anna. So many heart pounding, heart melting scenes in this one between these two. 

I can't even tell you how anxious I am to read the last book in the trilogy. It is going to be so very bittersweet as Anna and the other Neph's quest grows more serious and dangerous. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be everything I am hoping for and then some.








*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by an outside source. I was not compensated for this review.*






Yay! Another one I can check off my TBR pile!!

24 comments:

  1. I've had the worst luck with books about angels and demons too, I'm afraid. Unfortunately, this one just didn't work for me. I've tried very hard with the first book because I know how much many of my friends liked it, but I was very unhappy with it at the time. Perhaps now I'd feel differently? Who knows? I'm willing to try again.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Ali! I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen so many mixed reviews for this series that I'm even afraid to glance at the first page. I don't have much luck with books about angels too, so that is probably one of the main reasons for my avoiding of this one for so long.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it this much. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only skimmed b/c I haven't read the first book yet, but I'm glad that book 2 isn't a fail. 4 stars isn't a fail, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you loved this one! Great review!
    Bethzaida @ Bookittyblog

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAAAAAAAAAAAAY ALI!!!!! I agree completely, Wendy Higgins has some kind of magic when she writes. I couldn't love this series more if I tried, and like you a lot of that can be attributed to Kaidan, but I adore Anna and the rest of the cast as well. Belial just makes me happy:) Can't wait for Sweet Reckoning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She really does! I read Sweet Reckoning Jenny and it was amazing!!!

      Delete
  6. Glad you're enjoying this trilogy; I tend to prefer these over long, drawn-out series. The installments usually have a higher wow factor because the author only has 3 novels to tell her story. Great review! Hopefully Higgins ends this with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I love them both really but I totally see what you mean. Sometimes it is just really nice knowing that no matter what it will be over in 3 books and you will (hopefuly) get an amazing ending out of it.

      Delete
  7. So glad you enjoyed this one! I still need to pick up the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well damn, I think I need to start the 1st book sooner rather than later. Maybe this will break my strike against angel books. I need to meet Kai.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved book one, and Kai. I have no idea why I never picked up book two. So glad you enjoyed this one Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should pick it up Kim, I think you will like it and book three!

      Delete
  10. I am glad to see this is only book 2 because I feel as if am the ONLY one who has yet to read this.
    I too have had bad luck finding a good angel/demon type tale to get into.
    I once watched a movie about an angel, and a then picked up a book about an angel, & realized it was the movie I saw. The kid from The Vampire Diaries was in it-Stefan.
    IDK if it was coincidence that they were so similar or not.
    I liked the movie, but the book didnt enthrall me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel, I feel that way all the time when I see all these great trilogies and series out that people are raving about and I haven't even looked at them yet let alone started them. Way too many great books out there!

      Funny about the book and movie being the same!

      Delete
  11. I have all three of these waiting for me and I plan to read them back to back. I can't wait. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love Kaidan Ellen. I can already see him listed as one of your book boyfriends. ;)

      Delete
  12. Great book, but she still begs Kai until she gets to CA hope you think the book was excellent, and happy reading!
    Recommended Alaskan halibut Zernia

    ReplyDelete