Thursday, June 19, 2014

Review: Nearly Gone by Elle Cosimano

Title: Nearly Gone
Author: Elle Cosimano
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Kathy Dawson Books (March 25, 2014)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Thriller
My Rating: 4 Stars

Book Description:
Bones meets Fringe in a big, dark, scary, brilliantly-plotted urban thriller that will leave you guessing until the very end.

Nearly Boswell knows how to keep secrets. Living in a DC trailer park, she knows better than to share anything that would make her a target with her classmates. Like her mother's job as an exotic dancer, her obsession with the personal ads, and especially the emotions she can taste when she brushes against someone's skin. But when a serial killer goes on a killing spree and starts attacking students, leaving cryptic ads in the newspaper that only Nearly can decipher, she confides in the one person she shouldn't trust: the new guy at school—a reformed bad boy working undercover for the police, doing surveillance. . . on her.

Nearly might be the one person who can put all the clues together, and if she doesn't figure it all out soon—she'll be next.









I love when an author can remind me why I fell in love with a certain genre to begin with and why I love a good mystery.

It's rare in YA that a good thought out, keep you guessing until the end mystery can not only be delivered but signed and sealed as well. 

Let's face it, most mysteries in this genre fall flat, aren't well set up and you see them coming from a mile away or they just don't deliver in the end and you are left feeling let down and bereft that things wrapped up too quickly or too conveniently.

I am happy to say that wasn't the case at all in Nearly Gone.  

What first drew me to this story was the synopsis claiming and very alluring concept of , Bones meets Fringe it was  a pretty irresistible lure for someone like me having watched both tv series and loving them both. How could I resist? 

Not only are there paranormal elements weaved into the story line but the protagonist is a nerd. A smart girl that knows what she wants and holds her own against others. A very much Temperance Bennan fell to her, if not genius then close. 

The clues left behind each incident really leave you thinking about everything, sometimes even over thinking it. They make you question everything and everyone and will draw you, the reader in and bring you on the edge of your seat wondering what will come next.  You can't help but want to know what kind of sick person would play on another in such a way. Would so easily harm others in a game of cat and mouse and have no remorse while doing so. There is an almost eerie, creepy feeling to it all that adds that something extra to keep us on our toes and question everyone around Nearly. 

I had fun with this one. The storyline was engaging and sometimes even heart pounding as Nearly raced to get to the victims before the killer could. Throw in some great moments between Nearly and the new guy and you had just enough tender moments and romance to once again leave you light headed and questioning everything. 







*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

30 comments:

  1. Ohhh man, this is a really great review for a book I've been looking forward to reading a lot! It's been a while since I've read something that actually made me pause and think for a while. I want a book where I will be suspicious and everything and everyone, a book that will make want to read lines over and over again to make sure I didn't miss a double meaning or something. I'd love to read this if it will make me go for that whirlwind ride!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope if you try it you like it. It isn't a hard core mystery but I do think it will make you pause and think. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds amazing! I had my eye on this book a few months ago, but seem to have forgotten about it since. I'll definitely have to make sure I go and get myself a copy. I love a good edge-of-your-seat mystery. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...I too was drawn in by the Bones and Fringe comparison! :) I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this though! It's always great when you enjoy a mystery like this and the reveal leaves you dumbfounded - that's definitely a sign of a good mystery! Definitely going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Zoe and I really hope you like it as well. :)

      Delete
  4. YAY ALI!!! I really loved this one too! I didn't quite know what to expect going in, but I had so much fun trying to figure out the mystery, and I loved the way the romance was worked into everything. I can't wait for more from this author:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you loved it too Jenny and I agree, I want more from this author now too. :)

      Delete
  5. Ooo this sounds so good with the Frindge meets Bones theme and the great mystery. I've been excited to read this one and have it on my tbr list. I need to get to this one now! Awesome review, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely rare in YA. Usually you can see the ending coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really interesting. I am excited to read it. Also, I really like the dark cover. Great review! now I want to go get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I do hope you can give it a try and thanks so much!!

      Delete
  8. Oh i'm pretty intrigued since you ended up enjoying this one so much and didn't see the ending coming at all! Great reveiw :)
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mysteries too and a good one is hard to find. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check it out. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh Ali, I need to read this. I often hesitate with thrillers in YA but this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely sounds like a good mystery! Great to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The killer is the school principle, huh? They're evil. Or the janitor. Kidding. It seems so rare anymore to find a book that actually keeps me guessing until the end. Looks like I need to give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh it's nice to have a nerd as a main character, I also love that. And you're right it's so nice to have a good mytery, I love love books like that! Thanks for introducing me to the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we need more of those in YA for sure.

      Delete
  14. Bones meets Fringe, sign me up! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Bones meets Fringe." Seriously, when am I going to start paying more attention to blurbs, LOL. I love both of those shows too, and you're right about YA lacking in the mysterious mysteries department. Already put this one on the wishlist. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one sounds really good! I am so happy it's a mystery that actually keeps you guessing. I'm fed up of YA mysteries that are painfully obvious from the beginning and you know the big reveal before it gets to it. I am very excited to get to this one, thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think that is why I always go into most of them with little expectation.

      Delete
  17. This is new to me. It sounds great. Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete