Saturday, May 3, 2014

Review: The Boys of Summer by C.J. Duggan

Title: The Boys of Summer
Author: C.J. Duggan
Series: Book One in the Summer Series
Published: December 17, 2012
Source: Purchased
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
My Rating: 4 Stars!

Book Description:
It seemed only natural to nickname them the ‘Onslow Boys’. Every time they swaggered in the front door of the Onslow Hotel after a hard week’s work, their laughter was loud and genuine as they settled onto their bar stools. I peeked through the restaurant partition, a flimsy divider between my world and theirs. I couldn’t help but smile whenever I saw them, saw him ... Toby Morrison.

Quiet seventeen-year-old Tess doesn’t relish the thought of a summertime job. She wants nothing more than to forget the past haunts of high school and have fun with her best friends before the dreaded Year Twelve begins.

To Tess, summer is when everything happens: riding bikes down to the lake, watching the fireworks at the Onslow Show and water bomb fights at the sweltering Sunday markets.

How did she let her friends talk her into working?

After first-shift disasters, rude, wealthy tourists and a taunting ex-boyfriend, Tess is convinced nothing good can come of working her summer away. However, Tess finds unlikely allies in a group of locals dubbed ‘The Onslow Boys’, who are old enough to drive cars, drink beer and not worry about curfews. Tess’s summer of working expands her world with a series of first times with new friends, forbidden love and heartbreaking chaos.

All with the one boy she has never been able to forget. 

It will be a summer she will always remember. 

Warning: sexual references, and occasional coarse language.







I have had this book in my TBR pile for way too long, which (sadly) seems to be happening more and more lately with so many great books being released each year. Which really, is a shame because this one came highly recommended to me by a few trusted bloggers and friends and when that happens I always know that they will be ones that I will like as well, which totally was the case.

Where to begin? First off I think it is fair to say that even though I really liked this, this won't be for everyone. Why you ask? Simply because this is a book involving teenagers, ones that make a lot of mistakes, have some angst and where things could be so easily resolved if only they would communicate with one another, but then again, isn't that really how it is in the world of the young? We make rash sometimes impulse decisions and we always jump to conclusions. What fun would it be if we were all level headed, mature and calm at that age?

Having said all of that, I hope I didn't discourage you from picking this up because, it is, in fact, a really great read. Toby and Tess, the Onslow Boys, Adam, and Ellie are all fabulous characters in their own right. And even though they aren't always mature and level headed they are all there for one another and they are loyal and best of all, they learn from their mistakes.

I think overall, this was a pretty realistic look into a story about two (okay really, a whole gang of people) people learning to be adults, what  being friends is all about and most of all, learning about first love.

I am so glad there are more books in this series because I want a closer look into all of those hot Onslow boys, who wouldn't after reading this? And I am going to do my best to get to them, way sooner than I did this one because these are the type of reads you need to just sit back and relax and have a good time with just the right amount of sass, fun, romance and hotness.






*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by an outside source. I was not compensated for this review.*

22 comments:

  1. So glad you finally got a chance to read this! I know I have soooo many books I want to get to so badly. While there was a lot of miss communication and angst I also found it very realistic. I remember the horrible times of first dating and not knowing where you stand and how fast you can demand to have the talk about if you are an exclusive couple and if he is seeing someone else and all that other extremely nerve wracking conversations and confrontations. It is hard to figure that kind of stuff out in young love and I thought the book captured a lot of those feelings perfectly. Also the Onslows Boys are just too hot and fun! I just love Sean. I think he is my favorite even though I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this recommended to me by so many bloggers, I think I finally have to give it a try! :-) Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I agree miscommunication and angst are understandable at this age, and it sounds like it didn't detract from the story, so that's wonderful. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get what you mean about books in the TBR pile because I have some there for years, like many years lol. But as I'm trying to read them little by little now. But in any case I'm glad you had a good time with this one it sound like a good one. Thanks for the review, it was a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't that awful that we all do? LOL. I feel bad for those books, they just want to be read! :P

      Delete
  4. I have this one :D I just need to read it. Actually I think I have the whole series. I want to meet the boys. They sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do too, or if not then most of them.

      Delete
  5. I have this one on my kindle too. It seems like everyone seems to love it and I'm really anxious to fit it in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great story and I can't wait to read more!

      Delete
  6. Love the cover of this one-great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a great cover, in fact they all do!

      Delete
  7. No, Ali, this book is PERFECTION! lol - kidding. I know Tess is only 17 at the beginning of the story, but I was glad the boys were 19/20. The next books take place 4 years later, so everyone is more mature. Amy and Sean's story is my faaaaaaaavorite! Love those two to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I am looking forward to the next one.

      Delete
  8. You're review says things so well. I have really enjoyed this series. I am glad you did to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Christy loves, adores and fangirls this series. In fact I bought book one, so I am glad you warned about the drama, mistakes and angst. Wonderful review Ali, I am glad you enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she is the whole reason I started this one. ;)

      Delete
  10. Sass, fun, romance, and hotness...yes please :). Great review Ali!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had this one forever too! I'm so glad you liked it. This was one that actually made it onto my wishlist b/c I'd read the sample chapters, but so much time passed between the reading of chapters and the actual getting of book, that I kind of forgot about it . . . Thanks for the reminder!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, I hope you can make time for it soon. ;)

      Delete
  12. I read this last September and I liked it but haven't continued. I think the one thing that bothered me was that it wasn't clear as to what year it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it before but you are right, I don't remember them mentioning that either.

      Delete