Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Review: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Princess
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: Book Three in the Infernal Devices Trilogy
Published By: Walker Books (September 5, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 5 Stars!

Book Description:
Tessa Gray should be happy—aren't all brides happy? Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her. 










Being brutally honest I didn't expect to get swept away and into this series as much as I ended up being. 

I didn't love Will in book one and barely tolerated him by the ending. It wasn't until book two that things really started to grow and change and I finally saw what all the hype was about. I didn't doubt Clare's writing ability or even her talent but rather just how involved I would get in a love triangle that I never expected to be torn in part about. 

Once upon a time I liked a good love triangle, it kept things interested and even fun, until that is, they were so overly used and expected that they stopped being fun and I dreaded reading about them. It seemed very rarely did anyone win and more often than not I wanted to smack the girl caught up in the middle of it. 

I didn't feel that way about Tessa though, not once and Will and Jem, while both with faults (okay maybe Jem is perfect and had no fault), they were both equally lovable and worthy of her and I could truly see how she loved them both and was torn between them. She was never wish washy though, she was strong in her choices and that made it all believable and most of all, bearable. 

Add in the mystery of Tessa's origin, a mad man on the loose, and the appeal that is the world of Shadowhunters, all set in the late 1800's London, and you seriously have one heck of a read that constantly kept me on my toes. 

Even though numerous times my heart was torn in two over the love triangle and the betrayals, I loved every single minute of this series.

The ending, while convenient, did hold true to the rest of the series and it was, in short, wonderful and very realistic to the characters, their love, their sacrifice, and their friendship. 

This was so beautiful written. I think I loved it even more than I did the original series and that is saying something and something I never thought would happen. 







*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

50 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this trilogy was a success for you! Yet to read it myself, but it's good to know in advance the last book doesn't let it down (which can be the case in so many final books)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean and this didn't disappoint at all.

      Delete
  2. That ending tho...gah. Nearly killed me to continue on with the 3rd book, to be honest. I'm glad you loved this one more! I thought it was great also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it too. It was a rough ending in the second book.

      Delete
  3. I too can sometimes like a love triangle, if the author does it right.

    Ugh, you make me feel bad for not liking this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, don't feel bad. They aren't for everyone. ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm soo tempted to check this series out, but I been turned off by cassandra clare before because I'm hesitant!! Great Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to say I think those that don't normally like her stuff will like this series.

      Delete
  5. I am glad the ending satisfied. I've only read book one, but my oldest loves these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read the others Kim, they are even better than the first. ;)

      Delete
  6. So glad you loved this Ali!!!! I'm not sure I'm up for a triangle of this magnitude at the moment (I stopped after book one), but I'm glad you felt it was one that was done well, and Tessa wasn't one to waffle in her feelings:) Lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was done well and I don't say that lightly. ;)

      Delete
  7. This is my favourite series so I'm glad you loved this last book! It was heartbreaking but SO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, I just loved it and I loved how each book got better and better for me.

      Delete
  8. I never expected to like this series as much as I did either. Yeah I'm not a fan of love triangles, because I hate a heroine leading two guys on. Some of them don't bother me, even if she NEVER chooses the guy I want. I thought Jem was perfect too! Lots of people said they thought the end was sad, but I liked it and thought it a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sort of sad but in the best way possible and it had a happy ending as well so it just worked.

      I know what you mean about love triangles but it really did work in this one and I never thought I would like it as much as I did.

      Delete
  9. Wow Kindlemom with that fab cover, the great premise and you coveted 5 star review this has to be a win win so it's going on my wish list
    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that Debbie. I think you will really like this one even though I know YA isn't really your thing. :)

      Delete
  10. I loved this series as well. I so happy you finally took the plunge and read it and loved it. I only wish the MI series was as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Heidi but at least the first three books were okay.

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy you loved this, Ali. I have this series just sitting waiting to be read on my bookshelf. I've heard so many good things about it and your review just confirmed that further.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited for you to start it Nick, I think you are going to love it. :)

      Delete
  12. This book made me cry so hard. This is one of the best book and series ender I've read EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! I'm glad you loved this! I was happy with the ending, it may have felt convenient or like she was trying to make everyone happy, but it felt right to me. It fit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw love when they turn out to be more than I expected and totally win me over. I have the first 4 of hers on my shelf (been there a LONG time). Hopefully I'll get to them this next year :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another series I started and then got sidetracked. I've heard so many great things about this one, I really should get a copy and finish the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, I don't think you will regret it at all. :)

      Delete
  16. wow you have finally finished this series,, I still need to read this book :) lovely review ,, you really making me want to read it even more :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to, it was a great trilogy.

      Delete
  17. Absolutely love this series. Bought Clockwork Princess a couple of days ago, the cover is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Happy to hear that and I really hope you love it every bit as much as I have. :)

      Delete
  18. Yay, five stars - so glad this was all you had hoped it to be! I may just need to put this one ahead of the MI series someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read this one first, it was way better for me I think.

      Delete
  19. To be honest, I haven't really wanted to read these for some reason-maybe bad reviews? I am not sure. I am so glad you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm cool with love-triangles and like them as long as I FEEL it, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh yay another great Cassandra Clare book! I really really need to try her one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely start with this series if you do decide to try her. :)

      Delete
  22. I super agree, love triangles used to be such fun candy for me. I could gobble them up and would even participate in all the Team A! Team B! But now it's so overused I actually cringe at the sight of them. Thankfully, the love triangle this one is known for its being a "good" love triangle.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you and I was the same way. It is sad when something we liked it so overused no one likes them anymore.

      Delete
  23. Lovely review Ali! I'm so thrilled to hear you loved this. I agree, I love this series more than the original TMI, and even though the ending worked out too easily I didn't mind, it totally fit the characters and the story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to see that you loved this series. I love it when I find fellow bloggers that love a book or series I have already read. It's so much fun to see their outlook on the book. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series. I am sure I have said that several times. They just make me happy. I HATE love triangles, but I didn't even care about it while reading! I loved the series that much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Becca, it is so much fun to see it happen with a series you love so much. :)

      Delete
  25. I am really glad to hear you enjoyed this series. I so want to start this as well, I was going to after Mortal Instruments, but I hear better things about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one is better for sure, I would start here if you can!

      Delete