Thursday, March 19, 2015

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Book One in the Mara Dyer Trilogy
Published By: Simon & Schuster (September 27, 2011)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Book Description:
Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can. 

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. 
There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. 
She's wrong.







I have a confession to make, I have wanted to read this series since the first time I laid eyes on it, which sadly, was when it released in 2012. 

Why haven't I read it before now, almost 3 years later? Good question and one I honestly don't know the answer to.

I could lie and say I wanted all the books to be out in the trilogy before starting it but, that really isn't the truth either although a really good excuse to put it off. I think my biggest concern was that I was hoping it would be good, plain and simple. That I hadn't once again been lured in by the hype and a pretty cover.

What if it didn’t' live up to the hype? What if I hated it and having already purchased all three books in the trilogy, wasted a lot of money on something that might be a dud not to mention time?

Let me say with complete confidence, this wasn't a dud. It was fabulous and had my complete attention from the first page to the last.

I loved Mara, I loved Noah, Daniel, Jamie, I loved them all.

And believe it or not, what I loved most of all, besides the mystery, paranormal edge, and the teamy tension between Mara and Noah, was the very fact that Mara's parents and family were present through it all. Their bond and connection was truly amazing to behold and such a relief to have. Too many times in YA literature, parents just aren't around and present in the protagonist's life and it is so sad to see. 

This truly took me by surprise. Not only was Mara fabulous but I adored Noah. He was completely swoon worthy and I just want to know more about him and his secrets. In fact, it seems this whole book is full of secrets as Mara tries to navigate her life. To find out what really happened to her, Rachel, Claire, and Jude and about what is happening to her now.


I loved that even though this is told through Mara's eyes, she is as unreliable of a storyteller as it gets because she too, is in the dark and doesn't know fact from fiction. We learn with her and instead of it being frustrating like it very well could have been, it is fascinating instead. It kept me riveted to the book, turning the pages eager to know more.



52 comments:

  1. Eeeeep I need to pick it up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same boat as you were. I have the book but I just can't seem to get to it. So happy it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can make time for it soon, I don't think you will be disappointed at all with it.

      Delete
  3. It's been a long time since I read this but I remember enjoying it. So glad it worked out for you when you picked it up. I have totally put books off before because of the hype and sometimes that really helps me come to it with less bias. Great review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true and I think it worked in this case as well. :)

      Delete
  4. YEAH ALI!!!! WOO HOO! I completely understand why you put this off, it's always intimidating to start a book that's gotten a ton of hype, and there is a lengthy list of books I've yet to read for the same reason. Glad you loved this though and can't wait to see what you think of the next two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenny! I am excited to start book two!

      Delete
  5. I read this when it first came out, but I didn't like it very much. I do think I was not mature enough of a reader to enjoy it though and I'm willing to give it a shot again, probably on audio. I honestly can't remember a thing about this book, which shows my state of mind while I was reading it. I hope I will love it as much as you did! :)
    Wonderful review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it again Nick and like it much better the second time.

      Delete
  6. I need to read the last book. I keep forgetting to! lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did a binge audio listen of this last fall and I was surprised at the twist and turns and how this became something so unexpected. Yes we should have read them sooner, but it was much easier to understand everythign and keep it straight reading them in quick succession. Glad you are getting around to this at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I need to make sure I don't wait too long before I start book two. ;)

      Delete
  8. That's great you ended up really loving this one! I have been curious about it for awhile too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This first book was the best!!! I know what you mean about Noah, he was nothing short of a revelation :) I'm glad you loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word. Has it been 3 years?!! Goodness but time has flown! There are just too many pretty books needing to be read! Glad it wasn't a dud for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is so hard to pick and choose sometimes.

      Delete
  11. I'm really glad you liked this book! I remember reading it back in 2012 and just being smitten with both Mara & Noah. I suck at continuing series, but since I have the next two books, I plan to marathon them pretty soon. Yes! I agree, I loved the fact that her parents were present! It wasn't as if she was this high school girl with no parents whatsoever. & how cute was her relationship with her brothers?! You'll be seeing alot of me here on your blog :)

    Tika @fANGIRLconfessions

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read this too. If it's been three years and you still like it with all of these trends in ya, then it means this is that good and that I won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, still a really good read and something different.

      Delete
  13. Awe Ali what a great review. Don't you just love it when all the hype is right!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to admit that every time I see this book, series in fact, I drool some on the cover and wonder if it's as good as it looks. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I'm making sure I have this on my wishlist. Great review, Ali!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it Kim, I bet you love it too!

      Delete
  15. I also wanted to read back in 2012 and haven't done so! It's probably the same reason as yours too! I was afraid of getting dissapointed again by a gorgeous cover! Now that I've read your review though, I will definitely pick it up now! Hmmmm...maybe I'll check it out in audio! I'm glad this was worth it for you kindlemom, awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amir! I have heard the audio is really good too!

      Delete
  16. Enjoyed your passionate review! I'm going to have to consider putting this series on my TBR list which is way too long already!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Squee...yes! I loved this series on audio and I am so happy to see you reading and loving them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was JUST at Barnes and Noble and picked this book up and carried it around for a bit, but then realized they only had the first and third book but not the second. UGH! I should have just bought it. Now I will have to go back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Oh well at least you are going to one of my favorite places, right?? :P I hope you pick it up and love it Becca!

      Delete
  19. You already know I want to read this. I am glad all the books are out though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too because I think the endings are all killers.

      Delete
  20. I do like the sound of this one. I also like when the parents are involved in YA books, too. And I'm glad it lived up to your expectations. That's always the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't read this yet. I'm afraid it will be too much mystery and not enough paranormal. I'm glad both of the characters were good. It's rare I fall for a book guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it does have more mystery at the moment but I think the next book will be an even better mix of both. :)
      Lucky you, I fall for them all the time! :P

      Delete
  22. I haven't read this yet. I'm afraid it will be too much mystery and not enough paranormal. I'm glad both of the characters were good. It's rare I fall for a book guy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had the same reaction to this book that you did! I wanted it to be good, but the hype kept me from reading it. I think this will be one of my next library reads! Great review that soothed my fears! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad! I do hope you end up loving it!

      Delete
  24. This one has been on my Nook for awhile, now I really can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i loved this book as well! it was different than anything i've ever read before (in a good way )

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was a really good series - I loved the first book more than the second though. I still have to read the last book.. Glad you enjoyed it x
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember that when starting the second, hopefully I like it!

      Delete