Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Review: Written in Red by Anne Bishop

Title: Written in Red
Author: Anne Bishop
Series: Book One in the Others Series
Published By: NAL (March 5, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: UF
My Rating: 4 Stars


Book Description:
As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg’s Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others. 

Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she’s keeping a secret, and second, she doesn’t smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she’s wanted by the government, he’ll have to decide if she’s worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow. 








I have put reading this off for quite a while now, mostly because I just wasn't sure this would be a book that would live up to all the hype. I read the first chapter long ago when it was first released and it just didn't appeal to me for whatever reason. But of course, when so many people recommend it to you, it is hard to say no to giving a book another chance.

So I found myself picking this up for the March TBR challenge and determined to read it, or at the very least give it half a chance this time around.

Again, it took me awhile to warm up to this read. I pushed through it chapter after chapter until before I knew it, I wasn't making myself read it anymore. In fact, I found myself wanting to pick it up and learn more about Meg and the Others. They had an alluring appeal to me that I couldn't even quite name and yet, time and time again I was drawn back into the story. 

Bishop managed to create something original from ideas and concepts that are anything but unique and let me tell you, that takes talent.

It wasn't hard to be instantly drawn to the Others. To want to know them, understand them, and see good in their evilness. After all, how many of us have gotten use to the bad boys that can be turned good by the right kind of girl? Probably way too many to name.


And while this isn't exactly that type of story, it is a story about people's perspective changing and with that perspective, their attitude and feelings as well. And I admit, if I didn't sort of fall in love with Henry, Vlad, Sam, Winter, Tess, Air, and Simon and even the mysterious grandfather Erebus, I would be a big fat liar because truth be told, they all won me over in their own little ways. 

Like I said, there really isn't anything too unique about the characters themselves but yet the world in which they live, is every bit as original as the story itself. And while I still can't quite place what I loved so much about it, I can say with confidence, that I loved everything about it.


Did this meet my expectations of it? Heck yeah it did. I am fascinated, enthralled, and enchanted by the story and darn if I don't want more of it.



42 comments:

  1. It's SUCH a credit to an author if even though the story isn't your thing, you still find yourself being completely won over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You finally read it. It's an odd thing to enjoy a book from a genre you don't typically read. I found myself in the same situation too when I first read this book.

    I hope you like it enough to continue, Ali. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Joy, I really did. It is just one of those reads where you don't know if you liked it or loved it. :)

      Delete
  3. You are stronger than me! I'm so bad about pushing through. I usually give a couple chapters then will give up. That's awesome though that it turned into one you enjoyed Ali! Next time I'm struggling I'll try to push through and follow your lead :D Who knows what I've been missing out on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The characters sound really interesting and I've had the book in my TBR for the longest time but I still haven't read it. And the world sounds absolutely fantastic. I'll have to get to this sooner rather than later.
    Wonderful review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad you're jumping on the Others train too, and that you enjoyed the first book. Can't wait to hear what you think of the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been putting this one off for the exact same reason Ali! But I think it's time I finally gave it a chance. The reviews for all three books have been consistently positive, and I just can't wait any longer to meet all these amazing characters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ali, hmmm. I've seen so many reviews on this series. Thanks for going back to the beginning. Maybe it's time for me to pick it up now
    Loved your review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debbie! It is a very different type of read but if you like paranormal at all then I think you would like this one as well.

      Delete
  8. Persistence pays off! So happy you're now on board. I remember wishin I was Meg when I read this. The unexpected love and protectiveness The Others gave her is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I loved how they all wanted to protect her and care for her and I loved the "Our Meg" thing, so stinking cute!

      Delete
  9. Wow! I'm glad that you ending up liking this one, even if you had to push through the beginning. I don't know if I would have done the same, but it seems that it was well worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would have struggled to read this in book format because it does have slow parts. And it takes awhile to get use to the world. I listened to the audiobook and it took me awhile to really get into it but I LOVED it! And the second book. Glad you ended up enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very different world than what I thought it would be but once I got into it, it was wonderful. Glad I wasn't the only one that struggled with it and pushed through to love it afterward.

      Delete
  11. I remember it took me a bit of time to settle into the audiobook, but then I was hooked. I just started book three on audio today, and I am loving slipping back into this world. So glad you took a chance on this and loved it. I think you will like book two even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi, I am excited to start it and hoping I love book two even more.

      Delete
  12. I don't think I had a problem with slowness or having to push through. I was just reluctant to actually start. lol. Once I did, it was pretty smooth sailing when it came to that. I was relieved that I liked it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty relieved too! I think mostly the pushing through was not knowing if I was going to like the world or not. It took some getting use to. ;)

      Delete
  13. I am so glad you pushed through, I know this is a little out of your genres..but it is so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did like it Kim and I will definitely be continuing. ;)

      Delete
  14. I wish the characters were unique to but, if you did not mind it, then it mustn't be that big of a deal. Plus the world-building does sound great :D woah, I must be like the only one who didn't read this. Great review, Ali!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, okay, it's kind of hilarious that you had to make yourself read this at first, but I am happy it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just knew if so many people recommended it that there had to be something special about it, ;)

      Delete
  16. I'm so glad you enjoyed this even though it's not your goto genre. I have this on my shelf, and I even read some. For some reason it just did not grab me at the time which is strange because I do love these types of books. I'm going to re-visit it soon when I don't feel so rushed. I've heard so many great reviews (including yours) that I know I will most likely end up loving it.

    Lovely review, Ali!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way when I first started it but hang in there, it gets better!

      Delete
  17. I saw Kimba rave about the 3rd book in the series and I went out and bought the first two books! So I can't wait to read this one. But I have no idea when I will get to it. I'm glad you liked it too though.

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Kimba is part of the reason I had to read it as well. :)

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you gave this a second chance! Yeah I haven't read it yet because of the hype either, but the world sounds really cool and it's always great when you fall for all of the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a copy of this on my shelf, but I haven't been particularly interested in reading it before now. That's good to know the beginning is a bit slow, but that it gets better. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I hope you get to it soon, I think you will be surprised how much you warm up to it. :D

      Delete
  20. I have read this twice! What a fantastic book! Great review also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and twice? Wow! I can see doing that though, it was a good read.

      Delete