Monday, April 6, 2015

Review: Famous Last Words by Katie Alender

Title: Famous Last Words
Author: Katie Alender
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Point (September 30, 2014)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
Hollywood history, mystery, murder, mayhem, and delicious romance collide in this unputdownable thriller from master storyteller Katie Alender.

Willa is freaking out. It seems like she's seeing things. Like a dead body in her swimming pool. Frantic messages on her walls. A reflection that is not her own. It's almost as if someone -- or something -- is trying to send her a message.

Meanwhile, a killer is stalking Los Angeles -- a killer who reenacts famous movie murder scenes. Could Willa's strange visions have to do with these unsolved murders? Or is she going crazy? And who can she confide in? There's Marnie, her new friend who may not be totally trustworthy. And there's Reed, who's ridiculously handsome and seems to get Willa. There's also Wyatt, who's super smart but unhealthily obsessed with the Hollywood Killer.

All Willa knows is, she has to confront the possible-ghost in her house, or she just might lose her mind . . . or her life.

Acclaimed author Katie Alender puts an unforgettable twist on this spine-chilling tale of murder, mystery, mayhem -- and the movies. 










I was so hoping from that fun cover to the alluring synopsis that this would be a paranormal read. Something all about ghosts and all things that go bump in the night.

The first chapter was good, definitely piqued my interest, but the second chapter, the second chapter had me already craving more.

I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I did. In short, this was just a whole lot of fun, a little creepy, a little mysterious, and just unputdownable. 

Willa was relatable, real, and although she was going through a tough time, I liked her. I liked that she wasn't perfect and that she had problems and issues and I liked even more that it wasn't always easy to tell if what Willa saw and heard at night was real or just all in her head. 

For once I liked that this book wasn't focused on a romance, although there is one, sort of, it didn't really matter because what really mattered, was the serial killer running lose in Hollywood, and the disturbances that were happening at home with Willa. The romance never took away from the story but instead just added another layer of depth that was comforting and nice like a nice pair of fuzzy socks in the winter.

Overall, this was a great mystery, action packed and kept me on my toes. I will definitely be checking out the author's other books to make sure I have them. 




37 comments:

  1. Fuzzy socks in winter works for me :) I do love at least some romance in my reads even if it takes backseat :) Yay for this one turning out so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did have a bit of romance but definitely not the center of it at all.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this one as well and I'm glad to hear you did too. I liked the mystery too although I did think it was a bit predictable. Still, the author handled it all well in my opinion!
    Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was predictable, I had it narrowed down to two people by the second chapter but it was still fun.

      Delete
  3. "The romance never took away from the story but instead just added another layer of depth that was comforting and nice like a nice pair of fuzzy socks in the winter."

    LOVE that analogy (and that kind of romance) Ali! Books like this just make me happy - once I don't really have any expectations of but that end up keeping me up late reading. I'm going to make sure this is on my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the Cover I half expect this to be funny. I have been into ghostly stories lately. I sure like the sound of this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not really funny but it did have a few creepy moments. ;)

      Delete
  5. Altogether an interesting combination. I don't think I would've guessed it either from the blurb and the cover :) Just comes to show that I shouldn't let the cover fool me. And yet I do - time and time again, lol :) Beautiful review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the first time I hear about this one but I like a goos ghost story and I confess that I'm intrigued by this one. thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and checking it out! :D

      Delete
  7. Sometimes, a novel without romance works splendidly for me. Not often, but it happens. Also, that cover is truly amazing, I'm totally drawn to it, just like you were. I'm glad you weren't disappointed by the book itself, I'm adding it to my tbr. Lovely review as always, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Maja, I hope you enjoy this as well. :)

      Delete
  8. This one is totally new to me and It looks good. I love that you found it to be unputdownable :)

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does sound really intriguing!! I'm glad the romance wasn't a huge focus either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Because the author writes horror I was worried this might be too scary for me, but it sounds like it might not be too bad. I might have to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will be too scary at all Candace.

      Delete
  11. Great review Ali, sounds interesting. And you're just now reading The Passage, wow. Can't wait to hear what you think :)
    xo
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah ... that reflection on the cover is kind of creepy. Sounds fun, but I hate sock. lol - kidding. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it when you're hoping that a book will meet your expectations and it does! This one sounds fun and intriguing!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot handle the book load that comes from checking out your blog...hehehe! Kidding! I love it. Great review! Added it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is the first I hear about this book :D I will make sure to check it out soon ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like a change up of less focus on the romance. This cover is creepily awesome. Happy this one surprised you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the sound of this baby! Yey! And that cover and title totally hook me, hur~hur.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recently received this book for review so I'm quite excited about it xD I like the sound of a great mystery, wonderful review overall :)
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear the mystery kept you on your toes. I wasn't a huge fan of her last book, but this sounds like such an intriguing premise. I think after your review I have to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea she wrote another book. I might check it out and see what it is about. ;)

      Delete