Friday, April 10, 2015

Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Title: Nevermore
Author: Kelly Creagh
Series: Book One in the Nevermore Trilogy
Published By: Atheneum Young Readers (August 31, 2010)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars


Book Description:
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. 

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. 

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares. 

His life depends on it. 












I think some people know this about me but in case not, it bears repeating. I went through a Poe phase in high school. For whatever reason, the man and his work fascinated me. I ended up reading just about everything he had to offer and then some in the period of a couple of months. It wasn't until I was out of things to read by him that I later dove into his actual life. And let me tell you, it was an interesting journey. One filled with torment and rage and so much sadness not to mention rantings, ravings, and maybe even a hint of genius.

So of course, it was without hesitation that I picked this up. I admit, I was curious. I wanted to know what spin the author could put on Poe in the modern day. What horrors she would uncover, what madness she would unveil. 

And this book was everything I hoped it would be and maybe even some I would rather it not have been.

It was something Poe would have been proud of I think. Something strange and delusional at best and hysteria and bizarre-ness at the very least and of course, I loved it.

I loved the craziness. The unusual and yes, the extreme hint of madness that was Poe that someone leaked onto the pages in this story even though it wasn't truly about Poe at all. 

The tale hypnotized me. It made me turn the pages and keep going until the very end. 

It fascinated me. It intrigued me and it left me thankful I had the next book to read.




42 comments:

  1. Looks like a good book to read. :D Love your review, nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all of us book lovers went through a Poe fase at some point. Really, it's very difficult not to. I don't think mine has completely ended quite yet. I loved this book, but I haven't yet read the others. I know there was some disappointment all around and for some reason, I don't want to put myseld through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the last book to read and did like book two but I am scared I will be disappointed. It seems like that happens more often than not lately with the last book. :(

      Delete
  3. You had me at Poe. I love his works too. I am obsessed with The Raven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one and Annabelle Lee were always my favorite!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is a really enthusiastic review :) Just because of your energy, I feel compelled to give this one a try. I love it when I read a review that pulses with its own inner life. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely review!! I heard so many good things about this book and I'm glad you liked it :) I need to read this book soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book so much, Ali. I'll be binge-reading this series when the last book releases. It sounds fascinating and I can't wait for all the craziness. Great review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh - You had me at Poe and all the yummy sounding atmosphere in this. It sounds like it was a near perfect read for you, Ali. Yay! I'm going to have to track this series down, it sounds like the series is still in the works. Great review!! Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last book releases this summer. ;)
      Happy Friday to you as well Kim!

      Delete
  8. Wow Ali, I did not know that about you, thanks for sharing and for this fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am full of surprises. :P

      Happy Friday Debbie!

      Delete
  9. This is really embarrassing but I've never read anything from Poe! Now I'm off to check his work out. I'm glad this book didn't disappoint... as a fan of the book this is based from, I'm sure you were more critical than others so yay for the author in making this a worthy retelling! lovely review Kindlemom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't exactly a retelling, more like a look into Poe and his craziness/madness but definitely Poe worthy.

      I hope you like his work! It is dark but oh so good too!

      Delete
  10. Poe's writing has always intrigued me on some level. The first time I read from him, he actually ended up scaring me, haha. Still, as I read more, I found his stories more and more interesting. I like the sound of this book and how it connects with Poe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit bizarre and crazy because you wonder what the man was like that could write such sad, disturbed and dark stories. :)

      Delete
  11. I picked this one up because I love Poe's work though many of them left me with nightmares and I had to read them with the light on. ;) Unfortunately, this one didn't meet my expectation and I think I understood the book's blurb completely differently from the actual book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE LOVE LOVED this book! But the second book frustrated me and as far as I know there's still no third book so I guess I've given up on getting some conclusion. But this book totally blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the third book comes out this summer! I agree about the second book. I read it but am still having a hard time rating it

      Delete
  13. I've never tried a Poe story but I should because I heard so much about them. It's nice that you had a good time with this one. thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still can't believe I haven't read this one. I had it on my list for so long and then I kind of lost interest when the sequel tanked. I really need to give it a go. I am glad you are digging up all these oldies and reminding e to read them. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually haven't read this series, I've heard nothing but praise about it so your review does have me excited for it!<3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was such a dark and beautiful book. I remember being blown away when I first read this one. I'm glad you loved it, too. Being a Poe-aficionado probably gives you a better insight on how well Creagh did this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy and I agree, I think that does help. I'm so glad you really liked this too!

      Delete
  17. Poe is so emo. Heh. Really though, I do love craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "The Cask of Amontillado" is one of my favorite short stories of all time. I've seen this book around for years. Maybe I'll finally give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A kindred spirit..I too gobbled up all things Poe in high school. I find both the man and his work utterly fascinating. This does indeed sound good Ali. It was new to me, but I added it to my ever growing wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me at the mention of Poe. I adored almost everything about this man, and seeing as you loved this book that has mentions about him, I'm definitely going to read this. Thanks for sharing!

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's awesome their take was curious and exciting :) I'm trying to think back and it's probably been a good 15 years since I read Poe. Oop!

    ReplyDelete