Friday, June 24, 2011

Indie Author of the Week-Shawn P. Keenan

I wanted to try and feature an Indie author every month but then I realized that there are just too many Indie authors (and their great works out there) to only feature them once a month. So instead, I will be featuring a new Indie book each Friday, or at least, I will be trying to. 
Whether it be a new read for me or one I have read in the past I will be having a different book up each week that I have enjoyed reading.
So, in making this my new Friday tradition, I start off this week with the book The Buried Covenant by Shawn P. Keenan.

Title: The Buried Covenant
Author: Shawn P. Keenan
Published by: Indie Author (Jan. 30, 2011)
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
Being hardheaded is a common character flaw, but most teenagers can’t crack a concrete curb with their skull. And while a skilled skateboarder appears to defy gravity, he can’t keep water from pouring out of an upturned cup. Unintentionally tapping into latent powers has brought Jayke Wolff to the attention of the Aduro, an ancient society plotting an apocalyptic new world order. He’s now their number one draft pick, and they’ve dispatched their most seductive member to close the deal. It shouldn’t take much convincing a hormonal teenage boy to turn his back on a cryptic covenant for a future of self-indulgence and unchecked power. But if Jayke can’t be tempted by pleasures of the flesh, the flesh can be influenced in less pleasant ways as well. Armageddon can’t wait forever. Killing Jayke will also work.
Not remembering your past and not believing in your future can make it hard to choose who you’re going to be. Jayke has to decide how much of his teenage life he’s willing to sacrifice for a greater good. After all, you’re only young once.

My Review:
I am so glad I gave this book a chance. It was such an unexpectedly fun read. Very different from what I normally read, while it had some paranormal elements to it, I wouldn't exactly classify it as paranormal.
The book starts off a little slow, but that is to be expected since the author needed to build the world and characters around us to help us understand them later on. Even though it was a little slow going at first, the characters and mystery behind Jayke drew you in and made it really hard to put the book down. As the story built and we got to discover more about Jayke, his past, his future and his purpose it was almost impossible to put the book down. I wanted to learn more and was on the edge of me seat waiting to see how it all turned out.
I can only hope that this is only the beginning of Jayke and his world and that we will see more of him and his adventures to come. I know I will be waiting to read more about them.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I'm psyched to read this one! It sounds different and refreshing.

    Jamie @ Bookerella

    ReplyDelete