Monday, June 13, 2011

Misfit by Jon Skovron

Title: Misfit
Author: Jon Skovron
Published by: Amulet (Aug. 1, 2011)
Source: ARC Copy
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 3 Stars

Goodreads Description:

Jael Thompson has never really fit in. She’s changed schools too many times to count. The only family she’s ever known is her father, a bitter ex-priest who never lets her date and insists she attend the strictest Catholic school in Seattle. And her mother—well, she was a five thousand year old demon. That doesn’t exactly help.

But on her sixteenth birthday, her father gives her a present that brings about some unexpected changes. Some of the changes, like strange and wonderful powers and the cute skater boy with a knack for science, are awesome. But others, like the homicidal demon seeking revenge on her family? Not so much.

Steeped in mythology, this is an epic tale of a heroine who balances old world with new, science with magic, and the terrifying depths of the underworld with the ordinary halls of high school.


My Review:

I have to admit, I found this book really hard to get into at first. There is a lot of religion talk that sets the background to the story and it flips back and forth between the present and the past (which is sometimes a little disorienting). However, once I got about 100 pages into it it picked up and got pretty interesting. In fact it was a pleasant unique look into the whole theme of angels and demons, heaven and hell. I was surprised that I ended up wanting to not out it down so I could find out what happened next and how Jael dealt with her powers and her new abilities and how it would effect her relationships with her father and her friends. 
The ending was satisfying and left it wide open to a sequel or to a very nice beginning for a series. I will definitely be watching the author and seeing what he comes out with next. 
Overall I would rate this book about a 3 since it was a little slow getting into it but did pick up and get better as it went.

2 comments:

  1. I was just approved to get this book from the publisher. I will remember to wait until approx 100 pages before I quit reading IF I am not liking it. :) Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely a very different read but it was good too.

    ReplyDelete