Saturday, February 4, 2012

Indie Book of the Week: Ethereal (Celestra #1) by Addison Moore

This week I decided to read a series I have heard a lot about. A series I have been meaning to read but for whatever reason have just not started yet or had the time to start.



  I admit, part of the hold up was because after reading Unearthly and then Hallowed by Cynthia Hand my expectations for a good book about angels is pretty darn high, in fact, really high, like Mount Everest high so I was a little worried I wasn't going to enjoy this book as much as others have. I mean, it is really hard to beat the Unearthly series.

I really wanted to give this series a chance though so I really tried hard to not compare the two or have Ms. Hand's writing in mind going into this book.

Surprisingly, it was really easy to do just that. Moore of course has a different writing style and her characters have a different voice but I didn't find myself comparing one versus the other or wishing for something different.

I was pretty drawn into the story after the first few pages and read through it pretty quickly. I really liked how sarcastic Skyla could be and I really felt for her too. Her family life was less than perfect and at times I really wanted to just smack her mom for the things she did and said to her. I mean, I couldn't imagine any mom treating their children the way her mom sometimes did and not even that, but letting her step dad Tad talk to her the way he did. It was quite sickening and made me furious for Skyla. I was so glad that she had great friends to help her not to mention some pretty amazing guys as well.

Logan and Gage. Yum! I think they are both seriously great guys and I actually would hate to be in Skyla's shoes and have to choose one over the other. How does one choose between two such seemingly perfect men?

I really liked the different storyline on angels in this book. I think Moore did an excellent job with it.

My only real complaint is that sometimes it seemed like the chapters ended abruptly and then the next chapter started hours or days later from when the last one ended, without always a real clear explanation to what happened in the previous chapter. It was a little disconcerting at times and left you wondering what exactly happened.

Overall, I really look forward to reading the next book in the series and learning more about the different fractions of angels and of course getting a little more Logan and Gage time as well. 

Overall I would rate this book at a solid 4 Stars~!!
 

6 comments:

  1. You are so welcome!! I can't wait to read the next one. I feel terrible it has taken me so long to read it. I had no idea what I was missing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a really great read. Now I can't wait to start reading it! :)
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great review! I will have to give this series a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Veronica!

    Cambria, I think you would really like it! I plan on starting the second book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow fantastic review! I enjoyed reading the comparison to Unearthly, and I can't wait to read this series too!

    ReplyDelete