Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review: Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Title: Lies Beneath
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Series: Book One in the Lies Beneath Series
Published By: Delacorte (June 12, 2012)
Source: ARC copy NetGalley
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.


My Review:
 I don't normally read a lot of books about sirens or merpeople. Not because I don't like them, just for whatever reason they aren't usually high on my list of things to read. Which is strange since I loved mermaids when I was younger.



So when I found this one, it looked so interesting that I knew I needed to give it a chance and the fact that it is narrated through the voice of a merman? Well even better.

For whatever reason, there aren't too many YA books out there told from the male point of view so it is always fun to find one that is.



I really enjoyed Calder's voice. I liked that he was a little bit jaded and sarcastic and that there was a mystery behind him. That he has a story that was slowly unraveled within another story.



I liked how he handled himself and that he didn't let his (evil) sisters get the best of him. That he learned to really live and love and that there was more to what he thought was out there.



I guess I really just liked that he was willing to chance it, willing to take that leap of faith and be better than he ever thought he could be.



I think Lily was a great character as well and really just what Calder needed. I like how strong she was and I really liked unraveling her mystery as well (although not all of that has been revealed yet) and her dad and the whole Hancock promise.



I don't want to give anything away but a lot really happens in a short amount of time towards the end of the book and some things are left up in the air. I really look forward to seeing where Brown will take their story from here.



What happens to Lily and Calder and his sisters and of course the mystery behind the Hancock's as well.


4 comments:

  1. Great review. I can't wait to read this one. I agree with you when you say that there isn't a lot of YA written from the male perspective. There should be more of it in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vanessa! I really hope you like it if you decide to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hopeful that I will like this one Ali. So far I have not had good luck with mermaid books. Lost Voices was awful. It sounds like it has a bit of a cliffhanger though and as you know I am not a fan of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi I wouldn't necessarily call it a cliffhanging ending so much as lots are just left undone.
    It isn't one of those that makes you want to chuck your book across the room in frustration. It is a pretty mild one.

    I haven't read Lost Voices yet, I think now I just might pass on it. :P

    ReplyDelete