Friday, February 17, 2012

Review: Life is But a Dream by Brian James

Title: Life is But a Dream
Author: Brian James
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Feiwel & Friends (March 27, 2012)
Source: ARC Copy from Netgalley
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
My Rating: 4 Stars


Goodreads Description:
 Sabrina, an artist, is diagnosed with schizophrenia, and her parents check her into the Wellness Center. There she meets Alec, who is convinced that it's the world that's crazy, not them. But when Alex starts to convince Sabrina that her treatment will wipe out everything that makes her creative, she worries she'll lose hold of her dreams and herself.

My Review:
 
Do you ever have those books that after you get done reading them, even hours after you get done reading them, you still have a hard time thinking of something to say about them?



It isn't that the book was bad or awful, more than you are still kind of lost in the book. You are still thinking about it but it was so interesting and different that you just don't know how to describe everything that is going through you. All the thoughts and feelings you have about said book?

Well, Life is But A Dream is that book for me.


Truly, I am sitting here hours after I have finished it and I still can't quite grasp the words I want to say to convey how great this read was.


It was tragic and sad but eye opening and just....gah! I don't know how to say it all.


This review will not do the book justice and that just makes me a little bit sad.


This book was beautifully written and actually reminded me a little of the movie Crazy Love.


I honestly wasn't sure at first if Sabrina was crazy or just smarter and more insightful than the rest of us there for a little while.



I love that it wasn't exactly clear which was the case. Who was crazy, who wasn't and who maybe was just really lost and lonely and confused in this great big world of ours.


And while I don't want to give anything away, I was very happy with the way this book turned out and with the insight that was brought into it with Sabrina and Alec’s character.


My heart goes out to them both having to live with the things that they did and saw and knew.




My heart aches with their struggles but it also rejoices in their strength and courage to go forward and face some really hard things in their lives and to become better and to really let reality in...in a good healthy way.



This book was brilliant really, from the characters to the story line to the growth of the characters, everything. And while it wasn't something that I normally read because lets face it, this book covers some really hard issues that some people really are dealing with and struggling with, it great to read it and get that insight and to better understand maybe what they are going through and how hard it is for them, each and every day.


6 comments:

  1. Wondeful review Ali, this book definitely spoke to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heidi!
    Have you read it yet? I think you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like quite a good read. Your description kind of reminded me of the book/movie "It's Kind of a Funny Story". If you haven't seen/read it, you should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really did like it Becca, it is nice to read something a little different every now and then.

    I have heard of It's Kind of a Funny Story. I think I will look into it.
    Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great review...I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

    Brian James

    ReplyDelete