Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Eve by Anna Carey. First Book in the Dystopian Challenge Done!

As most of you know by now I decided to participate in the 12 Dystopian books in 12 months challenge and I am happy to say that I already completed book one of that challenge by reading Eve by Anna Carey!

So without further ado, here is my review!




Title: Eve 
Author: Anna Carey
Series: Book One in the Eve Series
Published By: HarperTeen (Oct. 4, 2011)
Genre: YA Dystopian
My Rating: 4 Stars




Goodreads Description:
The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

My Review:
For the new year I decided to participate in two challenges, one of which is why I decided to read Eve.
I am so glad I did, this was the perfect book for me to start the dystopian challenge with.

I am actually super surprised by some of the low ratings for this book. I really really enjoyed it. It was exactly what I was hoping it would be and am sorry that I didn't read it sooner.

And while the whole dystopian concept isn't unique the storyline for this book is. I don't want to give anything away but I liked that the government had a conspiracy and that things weren't what they always appeared to be.

I really liked Arden, Silas, Benny and some of the other boys in the camp and of course we get to meet Caleb, who is just sweet and wonderful and nothing like what Eve was taught boys were.

While this book wasn't perfect and certainly left you wondering what was going to happen next and didn't exactly leave you with a happy feel good ending, I do think it shows lots of promise and I have to give Carey kudos for creating something different and fun.

I do look forward to reading the next installment and really think this book deserves a try. I think those that enjoyed Lauren Oliver's Delirium series will also really like this one as well since some of the ideas and thoughts are similar.
 

3 comments:

  1. i really <3 this one
    looking 4ward to once/boook2
    reviewer love/ypu're gr8
    tnx 4 sharing you're thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and I am glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes we are so busy critiquing a book..that we forget the most important element..how did it make you feel when you were done? maybe the ride was long and rough but in the end .....how did you feel ;)
    adding this one to my pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so true kimba88!
    That is almost always how I rate books. Did the author get the message across clearly and how did it make me feel.

    ReplyDelete