Monday, January 30, 2012

Review: the Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal

Title: The Lifeguard 
Author: Deborah Blumenthal
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Whitman (March 1, 2012)
Source: ARC Copy from NetGalley
Genre: YA 
My Rating: 3.5-4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 It's an unsettled summer for Sirena. Back in Texas, her family's splitting apart, but here in Rhode Island, at the cottage of her free-spirited aunt, it's a different world. There are long days at the beach and intriguing encounters with him. Pilot. He's the lifeguard with shamanic skills. He both saves her and makes her feel lost at sea. Sirena explores her obsession with Pilot and discovers his mysterious--almost magical--gift

My Review:
 This seems to be one of those books that you either really like or you really dislike based on the reviews I have read. Even though some of the reviews were less than stellar I really wanted to read this book and truly I am glad that I gave it a chance.

No it isn't any great piece of literally art nor will it ever be but it was a really cute read that I really enjoyed.

It was a little like realistic YA fiction meets paranormal. There was that slight paranormal edge to it that kept me reading to try and find out exactly what Pilot's mystery was and the mystery of the house that Sabrina was staying in.

Plus, I admit, I really wanted to see if the girl got the guy in the end. I really liked all the characters in this story, Antonio, her aunt Ellie, Pilot, heck even the dogs personalities were great.

This truly was a sweet story that was a super fast read. I think anyone that likes Sara Dressen (with a slight paranormal edge to it) would enjoy this book too.

It was a little rough in areas and lacked a little in the descriptive areas but overall I would give this 3.5 to 4 stars.

 

4 comments:

  1. You know, something about the cover tuens me off. I am glad you found it to be ok, I don't think this would be for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover does go with the story though but yeah, if you don't like the cover you might not like the book, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I'm really looking forward to reading this one, it's been waiting in my kindle for a couple of weeks now :).

    I was wondering, how do you get revolving blog list on your blog? my email address is:
    romancebookie@yahoo.com, if you could email me that would be really great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you like it The Romance Bookie! :)

    ReplyDelete